6610RE: [BPQ32] Re: ARRL/TAPR DCC Forum Schedule, Banquet Speaker & Sunday Seminar Announced

  • Jerry
    Sep 4, 2011

      Charles..

      Good post Charles about TAPR most should read and know of that experience..

      I was at a  similar meeting in Indy back about this same time period. It was at a forum at the Indy Hamfest. Should have been a time to meet and great new people but that is not at all how it went down. The Club IDEA Indiana Digital Experimenters Association  whom I had only been a member of for two years… Held their meeting at this same forum.. The Club meetings was split. About 50/50 RF hams VS Internet Forwarders.. The two leading the meeting… er Argument were one from each side. They started yelling at each other using language illegal on the air, slamming each others genealogy, .. acting like children in fact acting like children is an understatement, I know of no children who could act this bad. .. Instead of gaining new members or even new packet users…  They ran off the 5 guys I brought with me who had just ordered 5 KPC-3’s one each… And as they left with in the first 5 minutes of the forum, they swore they were cancelling their orders.. This was the very beginning of the end of the magnanimous network we hams built and we hams tore down…Amateur Radio operators had the world’s largest Worldwide Digital Network.. All built and managed by HAMS.. and it was killed by egos, my way or the hi-way mentality, and plain silly actions by what are supposed to be brothers…  It was not just one side or the other at least not here in Indiana.. It was both HF and Internet hams …  It was their way or the hi way and they all chose to drive home…

      I spent most of my packet time after this working the Shuttle and MIR.. As well as one friend and I stayed in touch over a simplex freq with no BBS.  He and I would also connect to each other during a few passes of the shuttle and MIR and talked for a moment or two.. Neat.. Still have the yellowed paper that we kept our logs on.. That was by far the best time I have ever had using Packet Radio on VHF.

      TAPR is also on my list of organizations to not deal with, maybe TAPR had enough power do it without starting a big fight..  but it takes two to have an argument and in IDEAs meeting they had just enough to make an argument that virtually killed packet… We all know we will never have a network anywhere near as big and bold as years gone by…  We had HF, VHF UHF Satellites, nodes, digipeaters, all kinds of stations.. More than most hams today could even imagine..  Built and installed by all kinds of Amateur Radio groups and clubs..

      I call that the “Sysop Wars” era..  It’s over.. We need to move forward and rebuild our Network.. And let that anger go..  I was so set back by this I almost sold out as well.. But at that same time I moved to Southern Indiana were Packet still had a foot hold. Not a lot of one but they still had a BBS Users and a 9600 Baud 220 and 440 network that was working very well.. to the South… All links to the North were via the internet of course, once we left our club on 440 to the north in Bloomington it was a link to a gateway, due to the infighting, all HF forwarding north of Bloomington stopped.. Most BBSs in Indiana Shutdown, Everyone either sold off their equipment or starting playing in the APRS area...  And then the addition of HF forwarding at the local club began again when I was sysop.. and had help from a few HF forwarders out in CA that wanted us to do HF forwarding with them..  One even drove out to help us. Thus I am still here… We can begin again… But we have to work together and in cooperation…

      We must forget the past and move forward… Or we stand to repeat history…

      BPQ32 gives us a program that lets us intermingle so many protocols and methods.. be they RF, new modes, HF VHF UHF etc.. Even APRS …  Lets concentrate on that and move forward…

      We still have Good times ahead of us.. Let’s move towards those good times..

      73 Jerry N9LYA

      SYSOP K9BBS/W9OTR/W9BBS/N9LYA Packet BBS and Node System.