6603ARRL/TAPR DCC Forum Schedule, Banquet Speaker & Sunday Seminar Announced

  • Mark Thompson
    Sep 3, 2011

    The 30th Annual
    ARRL and TAPR Digital Communications Conference
    September 16-18, 2011 - Baltimore, MD
    http://www.tapr.org/dcc

    Update September 2, 2011

    The speakers schedule is posted to the DCC web site at www.tapr.org/pdf/DCC_2011_Schedule.pdf
         - A full schedule of paper presentations and invited speakers.

    Sunday Seminar Topic announced - see below

    There is Something for Everyone!!

    Introductory Talks (Saturday)

         Introduction to Digital Data Modes - George Heron, N2APB
         Introduction to Digital Voice - Mel Whitten, K0PFX
         Introduction to D-STAR Digital Voice & Data - Mark Braunstein, WA4KFZ
         Introduction to APRS - Bob Bruninga, WB4APR

    Main Session Talks (Friday and Saturday)

    See speakers schedule posted at www.tapr.org/pdf/DCC_2011_Schedule.pdf

    Sunday Seminar

         Universal Ham Radio Connectivity by Callsign Workshop - Bob Bruninga, WB4APR

         With Today's proliferation of wireless electronic devices, we need a transparent means of providing end-to-end ham radio connectivity for both text and voice to any ham anywhere using any device and only his callsign for addressing.  Our callsigns are unique in the world.  We should be able to use them for placing a call or text using any system in real time.  The goal of this workshop is to look at the handful of VOIP and more than 26 different text messaging systems in Ham radio and see where we can provide transparent connectivity.  We invite experts on all systems to participate and share ideas towards this goal.

    Demonstration Room

         Be sure to bring your projects to show in the demo room. Even if you are not speaking. Each year at the DCC a separate (and lockable) room is provided for people to bring and show off their latest projects. Tables and power will be provided. Bring your equipment and display for all to see, learn, and ask questions about. Be sure to bring a small sign and/or flyer naming and describing your project.

    Saturday Night Banquet Speaker

    The Village TELCO - David Rowe, VK5DGR

    There are now billions of mobile phones all over the world. However in many developing countries, mobile phones are simply too expensive to use. For example, in a country where people earn $1.50/day, a phone call can cost 21 cents/minute. This is a huge tax on communications.

    David Rowe, VK5DGR, will describe how a community of people from around the world set out to fix this problem, using a mix of Wi-Fi and open source software. The result is the Village Telco - a DIY telephone company that anyone can set up.

    A Village Telco is constructed from a network of "Mesh Potatoes" - small Wi-Fi boxes that are mounted on homes in a village. They form a mesh network, relaying telephone calls for each other. Each Mesh Potato connects to a regular telephone inside village homes. Phone calls on the network are free. A local person in the Village can be trained in a few hours to set up and maintain the network.

    To build the Village Telco we borrowed many ideas from Ham Radio, such as sharing hardware designs and community networks.

    The talk will include real world stories of how Village Telcos are helping people in several developing countries, and explain why a simple phone call that we take for granted can be so important.

    Registration

    Are you ready?  Here's a check list:
    - Have you booked your travel?
    - Have you booked your hotel room? (see below)
    - Have you registered for the DCC? Go to https://www.tapr.org/dccregistration.php to sign up.

    Hotel

    Four Points by Sheraton BWI Airport, Baltimore, MD.

    Use the reservation link below or call the hotel directly (phone numbers below) and mention the group code DCC (Digital Communications Conference) when making reservations.

    Four Points by Sheraton BWI Airport
    7032 Elm Road
    Baltimore, Maryland 21240
    Reservations: 1-800-368-7764

    Submitted Papers

    DATV-express: A Lower Cost Approach to DATV
    Charles Brain, G4GUO and Ken Konechy, W6HHC

    A Shadow Ad-Hoc TEMPn-N Network
    Bob Bruninga, WB4APR

    CW Mode for the NUE-PSK Digital Modem
    Dave Collins, AD7JT and George Heron, N2APB

    APRS and the Android Smartphone
    Sagar Gupta, KC2VSG

    Practical Implementations of Bluetooth in Microcontroller Circuits
    John A. Hansen, Ph.D. W2FS

    Public Service Event APRS Web Mapping for Wireless Devices
    Ted Jacobson, W8KVK and Rob Jacobson, KB9AFT

    WRC-12 Agenda Item 1.19: Regulatory Considerations for Software Defined and Cognitive Radio Systems
    Brennan Price, N4QX

    More experiments with Delay and Disruption Tolerant Networking over AX.25 Networks
    John Ronan, EI7IG, Darren Long, GØHHW and Kristian Walsh

    A Further Comparison of Different TCP/IP and DTN Protocols over the D-STAR Digital Data Mode
    John Ronan, EI7IG and Cathal O’Connor

    Codec 2 – Open Source Speech Coding at 2400 bit/s and Below
    David Rowe, VK5DGR

    PhoneSat: Balloon Testing Results
    Mike Safyan

    Modulation – Demodulation Software Radio (MDSR) Software for the BiLiF computer interface
    Alex Schwarz, VE7DXW

    Schedule

    Friday
    8:15 AM Conference Registration and Demonstration Room Open
    9:00 AM Welcome and Introductions
    9:30 AM Technical Presentations
    Noon Lunch
    1:00 PM Technical Presentations
    6:00 PM Break
    7:00 PM Social
    11:00 PM Demonstration Room Closed

    Saturday
    7:15 AM Conference Registration and Demonstration Room Open
    8:00 AM Welcome
    8:15 AM Technical Presentations
    Noon Lunch
    1:00 PM Technical Presentations