5287RE: [BPQ32] Nodes/Routes not dropping out after link failure

    Feb 1, 2011
      Have you disabled the node keepalive mechanism?

      From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of wa4zko
      Sent: 01 February 2011 19:48
      To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [BPQ32] Nodes/Routes not dropping out after link failure

      I recently installed a 9.6k backbone to backup a somewhat shaky internet connection between two BPQ32 based sites. The 9.6k ports have a route quality a few notches below the AXIP links. My assumption was that BPQ32's internal router should detect the AXIP link is down (may take a minute or two, but that's fine) and automatically "fail-over" to the 9.6k RF path.

      Last night, for giggles, I pulled the network cable to simulate a failure of the AXIP port. From there I watched and waited. The nodes (as expected) tried to talk over AXIP for a bit. One eventually dropped the AXIP route, the other just seemed heck bent on using the AXIP port. This went on for a good 20 minutes. Even after fresh node broadcasts were exchanged on both ends....the one node continued non-stop trying to contact the other node over the AXIP port. They refused to talk over the backbone RF port, insisting on using the axip port. During this there was no way I could connect via the 9.6k RF port to the other node.

      The one node required a total restart to get it to stop trying to use the AXIP port.

      After both nodes were restarted (the axip link is still down at this point) and exchanged node broadcasts, they seemed to talk fine over the RF backbone.

      We have a couple other BPQ32 nodes nearby in testing and fairly often we'll see one fail/refuse to remove a "down" node and spend hours trying to reach it. Restarting the node seems to be the only way to stop it.

      Thoughts? Ideas? Bug in the BPQ32 router?

      73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKO

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic