524Re: [BPQ32] Re: BPQ32 + FBB7.01.35 + AR-CLuster?

  • Ron Stordahl
    Sep 27, 2006
      Roger, G3LDI

      I must correct a few points.  John is not sailing the world.  Rather I said that he is 'sailing in the ocean'.  Hopefully not too far from Scotland and I also hope he is careful and has the necessary safety equipment!.  As I understand the weather will soon encourage him to wrap it up for the season and return home.  Then he will be more active in advancing BPQ32.

      As to my writing some of the code...no I am not doing that.  I did spend years writing code, mainly macroassember for a mainframe operating system, but that was in the past and I have not found the time to get back to programming.  I probably should, if I could find the time!

      What I have done is bug John for several years encouraging him to resume work on BPQ32.  I am glad he didn't tell me to get lost!  I don't think John realized at that time how many people still value BPQ32.  He also probably didn't think when he wrote BPQ that it would become a millstone around his neck.  So I and many others are very happy that now that John has retired he is willing to take some time to freshen BPQ32.  But it's a project he can do only as time allows.

      I established this BPQ32 Yahoo Group and I do try to answer questions, but there are many applications with which I have no experience, and so rather than expose my ignorance I don't normally respond to those questions!  As our members practical knowledge base expands I hope answers to questions are easier to come by.

      73 Ron, N5IN

      Roger Cooke wrote:
      Hi John.

         Thanks for the reply. Somebody told me that you were "sailing the world" now you
      have retired, so I do hope you had a great time.
        I tried again with the Cluster, but I found it difficult because FBB also uses AGW and BPQ
      so the two were in conflict! I do have the Satgate machine, so I think it best to run the Cluster
      on there, and talk to the BBS over the LAN with BPQ.

         The problem with forwarding.    I start a session with GB7VLS, running the older FBB
      version. All goes well for a while and then it all stops, no apparent reason why. My BBS
      is trying to send, the STA light blinks but the PTT does not key. I have found that if I leave
      it for several minutes, it reverts back to normal, but it takes a long time. I was wondering
      if it was a timer within your node software causing this?

        Incidentally, I have been told that N5IN is now writing some of your new node code,
      I am running the 4.09U, latest version.
      Regards from Roger, G3LDI
      Swardeston, Norfolk.