4799Re: BPQ 12/20 BPQMailChat fails

  • Howard Z
    Jan 3, 2011
      Hi Ron,

      For years I have been installing BPQ and just about all my amateur radio software into C:\Amateur Radio Program Files\... to avoid problems. I also keep UAC turned off.

      So, the problem occurs despite being installed outside of the "C:\Program Files" directory tree. But, thanks for the suggestion.

      Howard

      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Ron Stordahl <ron_n5in@...> wrote:

      > The Vista and Windows-7, both 32 and 64 bit, represents a challenge, one that
      > could require some significant program changes.
      >
      > What I would recommend is to save your configuration files, then uninstall
      > BPQ32.
      >
      > Now reinstall, but rather than taking the default install location of c:\program
      > files\BPQ32, enter instead c:\Amateur Radio\BPQ32. This will get BPQ32 and it's
      > associated files out of c:\program files\ or c:\program files (86)\. Microsoft
      > applies certain restrictions in those directories which would require
      > significant changes in the design of BPQ32 to operate smoothly.
      >

      > I have taken this approach successfully with all of my Amateur Radio programs I
      > have installed on Vista/Win-7. But my experience is limited with Vista/Win-7 I
      > must admit.
      >
      > I would like to hear of your results. Depending upon the results you have as
      > well as reports from others I may modify the installer to detect an install
      > attempt on those OS's and make this location selection automatic.
      >
      > Ron, AE5E (ex N5IN)

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic