3214Re: RMS Broadcasts

  • Howard Z
    Jun 1, 2010
      Jeff,

      You have a good point.
      I tried the BEACONs only because I have nobody to test with - who will try to connect to my RMS with RMSExpress.

      If the Beacons transmitted, then I would at least know that the RMS to BPQ to radio XMT works.

      Since the beacon did not transmit, it is possible that either BPQ does not support it, or that I do not have BPQ setup properly. I have always found BPQ a bit complicated to setup.

      So, this is the question: Are beacons NOT supposed to get transmitted via BPQ WINMOR & Pactor? Or do I have a setup problem.

      Anyways, I agree that there is little/no need for beacons via Winmor or Pactor. Beacons are a packet tradition for BBS systems on VHF.

      Howard

      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff - WA4ZKO" <wa4zko@...> wrote:

      > Would a typical pactor/winmor station see and display these "UI" frames while idle (running, but not connected) without any user intervention (being placed into a certain mode)?
      >
      > Guess what I'm getting at, is even if the "beacons" are sent, would the standard client software with default idle settings display them or ignore them?
      >
      > I also think since BPQ32 has to "attach" to the radio port for the pacotr/winmor ports....probably be foolish to do beacons and UI that way since it would keep the port listed as busy???? Plus would we want that much "node chatter/beacons" from lots of stations on freq congesting the HF spectrum?
      >
      > 73
      > Jeff
      > WA4ZKO
      >

      > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Muething" <rmuething@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Jeff,
      > >

      > > Both Pactor and WINMOR can send unproto (non ARQ) frames. These still use
      > > the built in FEC of these modes but of course cannot insure error free
      > > reception without an ARQ channel.
      > >

      > > Although RMS Express does not currently use unproto frames I believe BPQ 32
      > > will support it for both Pactor and WINMOR.
      > >

      > > Rick KN6KB
      > >

      > > _____

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic