2337Tiny BPQ Switch

  • Charles Brabham
    Oct 9, 2009
      Here's a four port BPQ switch utilizing a PC-104 form industrial computer, a 33 Mhz 486 that in a previous life operated a touchscreen data pad. It needed a new 3v motherboard battery and I had to cobble together the I/O connections.

      It runs on 5v DC, has a flash drive ( no moving or rotating parts ) a built-in watchdog setup and is hardened to take industrial conditions. ( Dust, vibration, temperature etc. )

      It fits in an old case for an MFJ 1270c with room to spare.

      I use ROMDOS, a special DOS for PC-104 computers, and it works flawlessly with DOS BPQ. There is also a copy of FBB BBS i9stalled, so I can connect on the air and do software updates, reboots, etc. using FBBDOS. I do not use it as a BBS but in a pinch, I could.

      So - if anybody asks if BPQ can be utilized in remote mountaintop node sites, you can say "You bet!"

      Note that I also have a four port FlexNet digi installed in the Flash drive, and can switch between one system and the other by altering the autoe*ec.bat file.

      I think this probably gets the prize for the tiniest BPQ switch - and it is also one of the toughest.

      The newer industrial PC's could run BPQ32, as they generally operate with Windows. - I got this older PC-104 for 29 bucks.

      73 DE Charles, N5PVL

      Prefer to use radio for your amateur radio communications? - Stop by at HamRadioNet.Org !

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic