      From: John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...>
      To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 8:07:48 AM
      Subject: [BPQ32] New BBS and Chat/Converse Software

      I've decided to write a BBS and Chat (Converse) program specifically designed to interface to BPQ32. Although there are a number of perfectly adequate BBS programs about, none interface to BPQ32 particularly cleanly, and very few are still supported.

      My current outline spec follows, but I'd welcome any suggestions on features you would like to see. The BBS and Chat features will probably be in the same program, but either may be disabled if not required.

      BBS.

      Basic Mailbox Functions (handling personal mail and bulletins).

      All configuration via dialogs (no files to edit);

      MBL/RLI standard forwarding and FBB-compatible compressed forwarding over ax.25 and netrom.

      POP3 and SMTP servers, allowing a standard Internet mail client (e.g. Outlook) to send messages to, and receive messages from the BBS. This will initially only accept connections from the local host, but could be extended (e.g. to accepting connects from the local LAN) if I can be convinced that it would not be a major security/SPAM risk.

      Ability to send locally input messages to an Internet email account, and receive responses back from the recipient.

      Chat Server.

      Networked chat/converse node,  similar to FastChat, but with named topics

      Any comments/suggestion s would be appreciated.

      73, John G8BPQ

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic