1982Re: New BBS and Chat/Converse Software

  • Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO
    Jun 23, 2009
      You're my hero! Guess we'll have to buy you a case of your favorite beer ;-)

      I'd be gun shy of the POP/SMTP exposure.

      Heck, just a good modern (aka actively developed) version of FBB compatible BBS software without the bugs, built to run on Win32, TCP/IP savvy, and native support for BPQ32 would be a wonderful start IMHO.

      I'm sure the BBS guru's can probably help with a list of long standing issues and "love to haves" for you.

      73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKO

      > I've decided to write a BBS and Chat (Converse) program specifically
      > designed to interface to BPQ32. Although there are a number of perfectly
      > adequate BBS programs about, none interface to BPQ32 particularly
      > cleanly, and very few are still supported.
      >
      > My current outline spec follows, but I'd welcome any suggestions on
      > features you would like to see. The BBS and Chat features will probably
      > be in the same program, but either may be disabled if not required.
      >
      > BBS.
      >
      > Basic Mailbox Functions (handling personal mail and bulletins).
      >
      > All configuration via dialogs (no files to edit);
      >
      > MBL/RLI standard forwarding and FBB-compatible compressed forwarding
      > over ax.25 and netrom.
      >
      > POP3 and SMTP servers, allowing a standard Internet mail client (e.g.
      > Outlook) to send messages to, and receive messages from the BBS. This
      > will initially only accept connections from the local host, but could be
      > extended (e.g. to accepting connects from the local LAN) if I can be
      > convinced that it would not be a major security/SPAM risk.
      >
      > Ability to send locally input messages to an Internet email account, and
      > receive responses back from the recipient.
      >

      > Chat Server.
      >
      > Networked chat/converse node, similar to FastChat, but with named
      > topics
      >

      > Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
      >
      > 73, John G8BPQ
      >

      > <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=15699127/grpspId=1705063108/
      > msgId=1976/stime=1243624092/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic