1084Re: Some questions, BPQ32, AR-Cluster, and RMS Packet

  • Ron Stordahl N5IN
    Jul 9, 2008
      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO" <wa4zko@...> wrote:

      > I've got a PK-96 and rig that I'd like to run both AR-Cluster and RMS
      > Packet on the same RF port. Looks like this is possible (although
      > maybe not the best idea in the world if it gets busy, grin) but
      > figured I'd ask on here?
      >
      > From my reading of the docs and various examples:
      >
      > 1. I'll have to use AGWPE for the TNC.

      While you could use SV2AGW's AGWPE.EXE program to connect to the TNC,
      and then have BPQ32 interface with it via the BPQtoAGW.DLL (see
      ..\Examples\Large_with_AGWPE\bpqcfg.txt) this is unnecessarily
      complicated. You must take care to avoid port number conflicts if you
      choose this round about method.

      Normally one would put the PK-96 in KISS mode using a terminal
      emulator, such as HyperTerm, and send KISS ON, then have BPQ32
      directly interface with the TNC (see
      ..\Examples\Large_without_AGWPE\bpqcfg.txt. In such a case you would
      not run AGWPE.exe on your system.

      AGWPE.exe would normally only be used if you needed to control a sound
      card modem, and is not needed for a TNC which directly supports KISS,
      such as the PK-96.

      > 2. AR-Cluster will have to be the 1st application as apparently it's
      > hard coded to mask 1? and told to use AGWPE?

      It depends upon which interface of AR-Cluster you choose. If you
      choose the OCX interface, then AR-Cluster hard codes the application
      mask as 0x1 and AR-Cluster must correspond to the first positional
      parameter in APPLICATIONS= of bpqcfg.txt.

      If in AR-Cluster you select the AGWtoBPQ interface, then the
      applications mask is set in the Config box in AGWtoBPQ.exe and you can
      set it as you wish, which could be 0x1 to correspond to the first
      positional parameter in APPLICATIONS=, or 0x2 to correspond to the
      second positional parameter, etc.

      I am a bit concerned in your statement 'and told to use AGWPE'. I
      don't think you really are going to also run the AGWPE.exe program are
      you? While you can it's an unnecessary layer of complexity.

      > 3. RMS Packet needs to talk to AGWPE, no native support for BPQ32
      > (although I understand work is underway) thus I have to use the
      BPQtoAGW?

      At this point you can use AGWtoBPQ.exe to interface with RMS Packet.
      This has been discussed in this forum. And since I have not actually
      tested this myself I refer you to prior postings on this forum.
      Ideally native support will be provided by the RMS author at some
      point. You would set the applications mask in AGWtoBPQ to correspond
      to the position in APPLICATIONS=. Look at the
      ..\Examples\..\bpqcfg.txt files where I tried to thoroughly explain this.

      > 4. AGWPE will have to be set for port 8001 ?

      Yes, if you insist upon the added complexity of using AGWPE.exe, then
      it must use a different port number than AGWtoBPQ.exe.

      > 5. BPQtoAGW will have to be setup and use port 8000 ?

      BPQtoAGW.DLL is used only if you do actually use AGWPE.exe, and if
      used it must match the port number of AGWPE.exe. You would set
      AGWPE.exe to use port 8001 and configure BPQtoAGW.DLL in bpqcfg.txt to
      match, using port 8001.

      > 6. Ports on #4 and #5 above can be other port numbers, just as long as
      > they are unique and I can keep track of what is what?

      I have suggested 8000 for AGWtoBPQ.exe and 8001 for AGWPE.exe, but
      these are programmable by the user. AGWtoBPQ.exe and AGWPE.exe do not
      talk to each other directly and in the unlikely case that you run both
      of these on the same machine, they must use different port numbers.
      If you really want to use both, then AGWtoBPQ communicates with BPQ32
      via tcp using port 8000, and BPQ32 communicates with AGWPE.exe via tcp
      using port 8001.

      You could pick other non conflicting port numbers. I suppose some
      poorly designed user program could have the port numbers hard coded,
      which could force you to make different choices, although I don't know
      of any such examples.

      Good luck Jeff!

      Ron Stordahl, N5IN

      73