10302Re: Chat questions

  • wavetel1
    Apr 2, 2013
      John,

      I think Ive found a problem then. As I said. Ive got keepalive enabled. And yes Ive found the 2 hr timeout and watched till it disconnected even though Ive got the "chat terminal mode" enabled in the bpqtcpip terminal. I am using version 1.0.5.1 bpqtcpip terminal.
      I get *** Disconnected - Idle time exceeded

      It would be good if the 2 hr timeout could be accessed as a variable in the bpq config perhaps or in the chatserver itself. This way even basic telnet clients could have a longer or shorter idle timeout.
      For me something a bit longer up to 10hrs would be good. I am playing with mobile devices via Telnet logins so options for sending nulls etc are not always that easy to arrange.
      Note I have IDLETIME=1800 in the bpq config file.

      Thanks Tony VK5AH

      > Tony,
      >
      > There are two timeouts, and a number of ways to get round them.
      >
      > First the network level timeout - the IDLETIME in the node config. This is
      > normally 15 minutes, but can be varied by individual sysops.This is reset by
      > traffic in etiher direction.
      >
      > The chat server has a two hour disconnect timer. This is only reset by input
      > from the user, not by data received from other uers.
      >
      > There is a chat server setting /Keepalive which when enabed sends you a
      > message after around 10 minutes without any other output. This will reset
      > the network IDLETIME and keep you connected for two hours (7200 seconds)
      > without input. This can be used however you are connecting to Chat.
      >
      > If you are using one one the BPQ Terminals (Chat Console, BPQ32 MDI Terminal
      > Window, BPQTerminal or BPQTermTCP), there is a "Chat Terminal Mode" flag
      > under options. This sends a couple of NULL characters after 10 minute or so
      > of inactivity.These reset the Chat Server timeout, but are otherwise
      > ignored. WIth this setting, you can remain connected essentially for ever,
      > aprat from Node or Network failures.
      >
      > 73, John
      >

      > _____

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic