Re: [BOBishBikesFS] Singer Touring? Very pretty ...

  • Jeff Noakes
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
      At 8:07 PM +0000 31/10/03, bhufford3@... wrote:
      >> Hey, isn't that Mark Petry's bike?
      >
      >Really? I couldn't look past the bike before, but the cars in the photo sure
      >look like that ferry is in the good old USA. The sizing looked odd to me as
      >well, but that didn't trigger any suspicions. Scam? ... dang -- they sure
      >know
      >how to play on our bike lust.

      As others have pointed out, it is his bike -- this advertisement even uses
      a picture from his website:

      <http://www.petry.org/markp/singer1.htm>

      Whoever did this wasn't particularly clever when it came to choosing
      bicycles, stealing images, and providing a description. This isn't exactly
      a common bicycle, the background is a little too distinctive, the price
      definitely seems low, and there's *no* description of the bike -- this
      makes people ask questions that they might not otherwise ask. I can think
      of better ways to run scams like this, but I'm not going to discuss them in
      public.

      Jeff Noakes
      Ottawa, ON