Re: [BOBishBikesFS] Singer Touring? Very pretty ...

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
      > Hey, isn't that Mark Petry's bike?

      Really? I couldn't look past the bike before, but the cars in the photo sure
      look like that ferry is in the good old USA. The sizing looked odd to me as
      well, but that didn't trigger any suspicions. Scam? ... dang -- they sure know
      how to play on our bike lust.

    • Jeff Noakes
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
        At 8:07 PM +0000 31/10/03, bhufford3@... wrote:
        >> Hey, isn't that Mark Petry's bike?
        >
        >Really? I couldn't look past the bike before, but the cars in the photo sure
        >look like that ferry is in the good old USA. The sizing looked odd to me as
        >well, but that didn't trigger any suspicions. Scam? ... dang -- they sure
        >know
        >how to play on our bike lust.

        As others have pointed out, it is his bike -- this advertisement even uses
        a picture from his website:

        <http://www.petry.org/markp/singer1.htm>

        Whoever did this wasn't particularly clever when it came to choosing
        bicycles, stealing images, and providing a description. This isn't exactly
        a common bicycle, the background is a little too distinctive, the price
        definitely seems low, and there's *no* description of the bike -- this
        makes people ask questions that they might not otherwise ask. I can think
        of better ways to run scams like this, but I'm not going to discuss them in
        public.

        Jeff Noakes
        Ottawa, ON