Re: [BOBishBikesFS] Singer Touring? Very pretty ...

  • Martin Needleman
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
      Yep and it's a LOT bigger than 55 centimeters. I've e-mailed the
      "seller" in London. I'm sure it's a scam and he'll never answer.

      Martin Needleman
      Annapolis, MD

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
        > Hey, isn't that Mark Petry's bike?

        Really? I couldn't look past the bike before, but the cars in the photo sure
        look like that ferry is in the good old USA. The sizing looked odd to me as
        well, but that didn't trigger any suspicions. Scam? ... dang -- they sure know
        how to play on our bike lust.

      • Jeff Noakes
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
          At 8:07 PM +0000 31/10/03, bhufford3@... wrote:
          >> Hey, isn't that Mark Petry's bike?
          >
          >Really? I couldn't look past the bike before, but the cars in the photo sure
          >look like that ferry is in the good old USA. The sizing looked odd to me as
          >well, but that didn't trigger any suspicions. Scam? ... dang -- they sure
          >know
          >how to play on our bike lust.

          As others have pointed out, it is his bike -- this advertisement even uses
          a picture from his website:

          <http://www.petry.org/markp/singer1.htm>

          Whoever did this wasn't particularly clever when it came to choosing
          bicycles, stealing images, and providing a description. This isn't exactly
          a common bicycle, the background is a little too distinctive, the price
          definitely seems low, and there's *no* description of the bike -- this
          makes people ask questions that they might not otherwise ask. I can think
          of better ways to run scams like this, but I'm not going to discuss them in
          public.

          Jeff Noakes
          Ottawa, ON