Re: [BOBishBikesFS] Singer Touring? Very pretty ...

  • Jay Van De Velde
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
      Hey, isn't that Mark Petry's bike?
      Jay Van De Velde
      Seal Beach,CA

      bhufford3@... wrote:
      Not mine, etc. ...

    • Martin Needleman
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
        Yep and it's a LOT bigger than 55 centimeters. I've e-mailed the
        "seller" in London. I'm sure it's a scam and he'll never answer.

        Martin Needleman
        Annapolis, MD

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
          > Hey, isn't that Mark Petry's bike?

          Really? I couldn't look past the bike before, but the cars in the photo sure
          look like that ferry is in the good old USA. The sizing looked odd to me as
          well, but that didn't trigger any suspicions. Scam? ... dang -- they sure know
          how to play on our bike lust.

        • Jeff Noakes
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
            At 8:07 PM +0000 31/10/03, bhufford3@... wrote:
            >> Hey, isn't that Mark Petry's bike?
            >
            >Really? I couldn't look past the bike before, but the cars in the photo sure
            >look like that ferry is in the good old USA. The sizing looked odd to me as
            >well, but that didn't trigger any suspicions. Scam? ... dang -- they sure
            >know
            >how to play on our bike lust.

            As others have pointed out, it is his bike -- this advertisement even uses
            a picture from his website:

            <http://www.petry.org/markp/singer1.htm>

            Whoever did this wasn't particularly clever when it came to choosing
            bicycles, stealing images, and providing a description. This isn't exactly
            a common bicycle, the background is a little too distinctive, the price
            definitely seems low, and there's *no* description of the bike -- this
            makes people ask questions that they might not otherwise ask. I can think
            of better ways to run scams like this, but I'm not going to discuss them in
            public.

            Jeff Noakes
            Ottawa, ON