Singer Touring? Very pretty ...

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
      Not mine, etc. ...

      ------------------

      http://www.totalbike.com/classifieds/ad/5721/touring/0/5/
    • Jay Van De Velde
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
        Hey, isn't that Mark Petry's bike?
        Jay Van De Velde
        Seal Beach,CA

        bhufford3@... wrote:
        Not mine, etc. ...

      • Martin Needleman
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
          Yep and it's a LOT bigger than 55 centimeters. I've e-mailed the
          "seller" in London. I'm sure it's a scam and he'll never answer.

          Martin Needleman
          Annapolis, MD

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
            > Hey, isn't that Mark Petry's bike?

            Really? I couldn't look past the bike before, but the cars in the photo sure
            look like that ferry is in the good old USA. The sizing looked odd to me as
            well, but that didn't trigger any suspicions. Scam? ... dang -- they sure know
            how to play on our bike lust.

          • Jeff Noakes
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
              At 8:07 PM +0000 31/10/03, bhufford3@... wrote:
              >> Hey, isn't that Mark Petry's bike?
              >
              >Really? I couldn't look past the bike before, but the cars in the photo sure
              >look like that ferry is in the good old USA. The sizing looked odd to me as
              >well, but that didn't trigger any suspicions. Scam? ... dang -- they sure
              >know
              >how to play on our bike lust.

              As others have pointed out, it is his bike -- this advertisement even uses
              a picture from his website:

              <http://www.petry.org/markp/singer1.htm>

              Whoever did this wasn't particularly clever when it came to choosing
              bicycles, stealing images, and providing a description. This isn't exactly
              a common bicycle, the background is a little too distinctive, the price
              definitely seems low, and there's *no* description of the bike -- this
              makes people ask questions that they might not otherwise ask. I can think
              of better ways to run scams like this, but I'm not going to discuss them in
              public.

              Jeff Noakes
              Ottawa, ON