Where's Bob?

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
      Just a note to thank you all for your well wishes and for keeping the list
      running in my absence.

      To update you all: I went to my neuro doc on my 45th birthday (2/23) and he
      presented me with a seven day and night stay in the hospital complete with MRI
      (very loud, clostrophobic tests are not recommended for someone with a migraine
      headache -- unless you're trying to toture them), spinal tap (the knobs *do* go
      up to 11), endless, boring hours in a *very* uncomfortable bed (can't read,
      can't write -- not a result of my education mind you, it just hurt to
      concentrate -- , TV was bad, conversation was minimal and a struggle). My
      roommate, bless his soul, was recovering from gastric cancer surgery and had a
      colostomy bag, so I discover that migraine sufferers are sensitive to light,
      sound *and* odors. He also had an extended, but close, backwoods family that
      liked to visit at all hours. Particularly with infants that they were not at
      all opposed to letting crawl all over the hospital room floor (ick), though the
      babies didn't seem to like it as they screamed at the top of their lungs for
      what seemed like hours before someone was finally clued in enough to pick them
      up and head home so "Pops" could get some rest. I think I slept all of 10
      hours in all that time.

      After a couple of different IV medication attempts (and seven different IV
      locations, one case of phlebitis and some antibiotics -- apparently I'm hard to
      stick), my doctor decided that we could address the headache from here on out
      from the comfort of my own home or his office. Yay! My head hurts just as
      much as before, but we know it isn't caused by most of the "nasty"
      possibilities. I follow up with him on Monday and start with the "Headache
      Center" then as well. The huggy/feely folks. Hopefully that will help. My
      employers are are getting the disability papers in order just in case. That is
      scary. I don't know too many folks who relish the thought of a 25% pay cut.

      I'm going to crawl into my big 'ol comfortable bed now. The dogs have their
      orders if they hear any crying babies and if I smell anything bad I'm
      retaliating with my "own brand" ...

      Bob "it's good to be home" Hufford