Eddy Merckx Century 653 - $1200 (Wallingford)

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2013
      http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/3638746319.html

      CL > seattle > seattle > all for sale / wanted > bicycles - by owner
      ReplyReply to: rrjxg-3638746319@...[?]
      flag [?] : miscategorizedprohibitedspambest of
      Eddy Merckx Century 653 - $1200 (Wallingford)
      Early 90s Eddy Merckx Century 653 built up with Shimano and Campy mix

      These Reynolds 653 bikes are lighter than the Columbus tubed bikes of the same era and have a great ride. The flat fork crown is super cool, too. Bike is in excellent shape with only a few nicks here and there. I've owned it about 15 years and would keep it but moved to a place with less space and need to thin the herd a bit. . .

      Frame was originally sold to me as a "57" but it is more like 57.5 c-c and 59 c-t. Top tube appears to be a tad over 57, which leads me to believe it may actually be a "58." You can find the Merckx century geometry chart here:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/36309329@N02/4868503571/

      As you can see these have a fairly relaxed seat tube angles not very common of that era. Also a low bb height (so not a great candidate for a fixie conversion).

      I built it up as follows:

      Cinelli 66-42 bars
      Cinelli XA stem, 11cm
      New Cinelli bar tape
      Dura Ace cranks 7400 series, 172.5 with 42/53 rings
      Shimano UN72 bb
      Dura Ace 7400 series rear der
      Ulegra front der
      Dura Ace 7 speed DT shift levers
      Ultegra dual pivot brakes and matching levers
      Shimano headset
      Campy Record hubs laced to Campy rims, 32 spokes 3x

      I'm asking $1,200. I'll give Craigslist a shot for a week or so and then it goes on eBay. Please only contact me if you know these bikes and what they are worth. Cash only, no trades. Thanks.

      * Location: Wallingford
      Posting ID: 3638746319

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2013
        Yes If it goes to eBay let me know
        Thanks
        Charles

        >CL > seattle > seattle > all for sale / wanted > bicycles - by owner
        >ReplyReply to: rrjxg-3638746319@...[?]
        >flag [?] : miscategorizedprohibitedspambest of
        >Eddy Merckx Century 653 - $1200 (Wallingford)
        >Early 90s Eddy Merckx Century 653 built up with Shimano and Campy mix
        >
        >These Reynolds 653 bikes are lighter than the Columbus tubed bikes of the same era and have a great ride. The flat fork crown is super cool, too. Bike is in excellent shape with only a few nicks here and there. I've owned it about 15 years and would keep it but moved to a place with less space and need to thin the herd a bit. . .
        >
        >Frame was originally sold to me as a "57" but it is more like 57.5 c-c and 59 c-t. Top tube appears to be a tad over 57, which leads me to believe it may actually be a "58." You can find the Merckx century geometry chart here:
        >
        >http://www.flickr.com/photos/36309329@N02/4868503571/
        >
        >As you can see these have a fairly relaxed seat tube angles not very common of that era. Also a low bb height (so not a great candidate for a fixie conversion).
        >
        >I built it up as follows:
        >
        >Cinelli 66-42 bars
        >Cinelli XA stem, 11cm
        >New Cinelli bar tape
        >Dura Ace cranks 7400 series, 172.5 with 42/53 rings
        >Shimano UN72 bb
        >Dura Ace 7400 series rear der
        >Ulegra front der
        >Dura Ace 7 speed DT shift levers
        >Ultegra dual pivot brakes and matching levers
        >Shimano headset
        >Campy Record hubs laced to Campy rims, 32 spokes 3x
        >
        >I'm asking $1,200. I'll give Craigslist a shot for a week or so and then it goes on eBay. Please only contact me if you know these bikes and what they are worth. Cash only, no trades. Thanks.
        >
        > * Location: Wallingford
        > * it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
        >Posting ID: 3638746319
        >
        >Original craigslist post:
        >http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/3638746319.html
        >About craigslist mail:
        >http://craigslist.org/about/help/email-relay
        >If this email is a scam or spam please flag it now:
        >http://craigslist.org/mf/dbaece7aae51a703f8a24ce69dd83c7478445870.1

        Original craigslist post:
        http://craigslist.org/mf/c17fba36999904fbb4e04f968c5d71670acc6254.1