Rivendell Sam Hillborne - 56cm Orange Single-Top-Tube Canti Waterford - $1800 (berkeley north / hills)

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2013

      http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/3635171287.html

      CL > SF bay area > east bay > all for sale / wanted > bicycles - by owner
      ReplyReply to: trsnn-3635171287@...[?]
      flag [?] : miscategorizedprohibitedspambest of
      Rivendell Sam Hillborne - 56cm Orange Single-Top-Tube Canti Waterford - $1800 (berkeley north / hills)
      Rivendell Sam Hillborne - 56cm, Orange, Single-Top-Tube, Cantilever/V-Brake Posts, Waterford-Built

      I am reluctantly selling my beloved Rivendell Sam Hillborne. It is a somewhat rare version and essentially irreplaceable today, since all 56cm and up Hillbornes sold today have double top tubes and only the largest size is now available with cantilever mounts.

      Mine was purchased new from Rivendell in Walnut Creek in April of 2010 and was expertly built by them. It has Deore V-brakes (superior to cantis in every way IMHO but I appear to be in the minority here) with Tektro brake levers and interrupters on the flats, in addition to Paul Thumbies that relocate the shifters to the flats like an old-school mountain bike. The Campagnolo front derailer is friction-operated, the rear is 8-speed indexed with a friction option - the most reliable indexing option by far. Crank is a Sugino XD2, 165mm crankarms, 46/36/24, rear cassette is an 8-speed 11-32, for a superb overall gear range (20.5-114.2 gear-inches, if you must know).

      Wheels are Velocity Synergy, 36-spoke, with Deore LX hubs, hand-built by Rich Lesnik. Totally bombproof. Cane Creek headset, Nitto stem, handlebar, seatpost, and front and rear rack - all standard Rivendell parts. I will include pedals with the sale but they will be MKS Touring pedals, as opposed to the ones shown in the photo. Seat is not included, but I can throw something on to make it possible for you to ride it home. SKS Longboard fenders - front one has been shortened a bit, which is a nice way of saying that I reattached the mudflap at the point where it broke! The bike currently has 700x40 Schwalbe Marathon Supremes which have a lot of miles on them and have many more miles to go. I think I have gotten a total of two flat tires in the three years I have had them on the bike. Few bikes available today can fit 40mm tires and still have room for fenders - this is one of them. Large tires are fantastic for rough roads, heavy loads, etc.

      This bike has been ridden nearly every day for the past three years. I rode it from Berkeley to Portland and back, twice in the Davis Double, and from my house to my office and back every day, in addition to numerous shopping trips, errands, etc. As a result, there are plenty of chips in the beautiful orange paint which may not be visible in the photo. If you are looking for a bike to collect or put on your wall, you may be disappointed. If you are looking for a bike to ride a lot, it is hands-down the best all-rounder I have ever owned. Long days on pavement, fire roads, bits of singletrack, full touring or shopping loads, no problem. Incredibly comfortable riding position with the high bars - you can actually ride in the drops for hours on end and have two more hand positions on the hoods and the flats, with incredibly strong braking available from all three positions. The Thumbie-mounted shifters are much more convenient than bar-ends and pair really
      well with the brake interrupter levers.

      I have since bought a heavier touring bike and a lighter randonneuring bike, so the Hillborne isn't getting ridden, which is a shame. I have the original build sheet and with the upgraded headset and the added racks, fenders, pedals, and kickstand, the original build cost is over $3000, so I believe I have priced it fairly and am firm on price as a result. If you are seriously interested, reply to this post and we can arrange for a test ride. I can bring it to my office in downtown Berkeley, or to the Chevron station on the Arlington in Kensington.

      Thanks for looking.

      Daniel
      Posting ID: 3635171287
      Edited: 2013-02-22, 10:07AM PST