1981 58cm Specialized Sequoia - $500

  • James Bond
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2012
      Not mine. Pix on link. Early decals.

      http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/3451083907.html

      Hi,

      I'm a home mechanic who restores vintage road bikes as a hobby. I've
      been at it for several years now and I've become quite skilled and
      meticulous in the process. Every bike I sell has been carefully taken
      apart, serviced, and reassembled. I even go the extra mile to replace
      worn parts and upgrade key components (with modern ones) to improve
      performance and comfort. Consequently, when I'm through with a bike it
      rides not just like new but even better than new. And the bikes I
      restore all have high-quality, lugged and butted chromoly frames (often
      hand-brazed). These are superior in craftsmanship and durability to
      anything comparably priced in a bike shop these days--plus, they're
      beautiful! If you'd like to see other examples of bikes that I've
      restored, check out: http://rideitordie.blogspot.com/

      Andre

      This frame is from an early, limited run of Sequoias crafted by Japanese
      builders, among them Yoshi Konno. While this one is probably not a
      3Rensho, it shows every sign of a very carefully hand-built frame.
      Highlights include long-point lugs, fluted seat stays, and chromed fork,
      stays, and dropouts. These early Sequoias had slightly different (more
      touring-oriented) geometry than in later model-years, and many folks
      prefer it and consider these more prized for that reason. In 1980/81 it
      would have been sold as a frameset with Arabesque headset, so there's no
      "stock setup." For the curious, there's some more interesting history
      here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kari_44/5915917151/.
      (My frame is from the same production run as the one featured on the
      Flickr page, separated by less than 20 frames, according to the serial
      number.)

      I've built this one up as an urban warrior with bomb-proof components
      and some thoughtful modern touches such as dual-pivot, long-reach
      Shimano brakes (excellent stopping power and modulation) and 700c
      double-wall-rimmed wheels (stronger, more tire options than 27"). She's
      currently gliding on 28mm-wide tires, but there's room for at least 32mm
      with fenders or 35 or 38mm without. The paint is rather worse for the
      wear, but there's no significant rust and no dents, bends or dings
      anywhere on the frame.

      Component List:

      Wheels: Suntour 36H sealed-cartridge hubs hand-built to Mavic MA3 rims

      Tires: Continental Contact 700x28 (heavy-duty, flat-resistant commuter tire)

      Crankset: Deore LX (48/38/28 chainrings)

      Pedals: Specialized Touring

      Derailleurs: vintage Deore rear, Shimano Z-series front

      Shifters: Shimano 600 Arabesque

      Brakes: Shimano A550, aero levers

      Stem: vintage Nitto Technomic

      Bars: Sakae Road Champion

      Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo.

      Rack: Blackburn

      Measurements:

      58cm seat tube (c-c)

      56cm top tube (c-c)

      33 1/8" stand-over height

      If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!