1982/3, Elvish, green, pics, 55cm, $250 (craigslist / Madison)

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2011
      1982/3, Elvish, green, pics, 55cm, $250 (craigslist / Madison)

      Not mine ...

      1982/3 Elvish 10 speed, French - $250 (Madison)

      Date: 2011-10-29, 9:04AM CDT
      Reply to: sale-c6t2h-2674818993@...

      Bicycle: Elvish Extra

      Frame material: "TUBES LAMINES A CHAUD -- TS 30.0 (NF 49643)"
      Year: 1982/1983
      Nationality: French
      Frame size: Seat tube - 55 cm c-t-c; top tube 56 c-t-c
      Crankset: Nevar Star, 52/42
      Derailleurs: Huret--look like the Huret/Sachs New Success, but only has word "Huret" on body--no "Sachs". Scratched/worn
      Shift levers: Shimano 600
      Hubs: Normandy
      Freewheel: Atom SGDG, 14-15-16-18-20
      Brakes: CLB, new old stock, perfect condition
      Handle bars: Belleri (France) - embossed
      Stem: aluminum, unmarked
      Rims: MAVIC Sport (tubular)
      Tires: Servizio Corse
      Saddle: BIM #39, NOS but with some crazing
      Seatpost: Simplex - cool aero looking thing - aluminum
      Pedals: Atom 600 -- end cages cut off
      Toe clips and straps: Christophe
      Weight: 23.23 lbs as pictured

      Decal at top of downtube says:

      FABRICATION
      ELVISH
      FRANCE

      This is what I know about this bicycle (which isn't much).

      Elvish was a French bicycle manufacturer in the early 1920's, probably based in or around Pau in southern France. They partnered with the French cyclist Victor Fontan to create the team 'Elvish Fontan' and raced the Tour de France in 1928 and 1929. Elvish produced high-end, Ducati-powered mopeds from the early to mid-1950's. Then, in the 1970s, Elvish bicycles were sold under the "Fontan" brand name. No idea what happened in the gap years.

      Jump to the 1980's. Elvish/Fontan bicycles were imported into Canada by Ottawa Bikeway, a shop that went belly up in the 1990s. Bicycles Fiset in Montreal also distributed the Elvish's imported by OB. The dealer's decal on the downtube says,

      VENTE SERVICE REPARATION
      BICYCLES FIEST INC.
      AGENT: CCM -- RALEIGH -- PEUGEOT
      RAPIDO -- VELO SPORT -- LEADER
      ELVISH
      10629 PELOQUIN, MTL
      387-5121

      A quick check of the web shows that Bicycles Fiset is still in business in Montreal, and even has the same address and phone number. Unfortunately, I was unable to get any information from them.

      I purchased the bicycle as a seat-less, wheel-less frame several years ago (in the midst of my "French" period of bicycle collecting). I put on wheels, seat, seatpost and handlebar tape and replaced the original CLB brakes with a NOS set, in addition to a full regrease/rebuild. The Shimano shift levers are probably a replacement. The originals would probably have been Huret.

      Condition: The paint is a metallic-flake green and has several small chips and scrapes, but the majority of the paint really isn't all that bad. However, right chain stay shows a lot of chain whip and all of the (water-slide) decals show minor cracking. Purchase includes an original set of Elvish water-slide decals. They are not an exact match to the decals on the frame, but since Elvish bicycles are rare as hens teeth, who's going to know?

      Asking $250 as is or $150 without wheels (not everybody likes tubulars -- I love them) and if I remove the NOS CLB brakes and reinstall the original (tired) CLB brakes. Make me an offer.

      More photos available upon request.

      Location: Madison

      http://madison.craigslist.org/bik/2674818993.html