1984 63cm Miyata 1000 - $1,000

  • James Bond
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2011
      Not mine. Pix on link.

      http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/2577523118.html

      I am selling my beautiful Miyata 1000. This is the 1984 model, and it's
      in great condition for its age. It has triple-butted tubes and nice lugs
      with crown cutouts. The paint is sparkly gray, and it's really quite
      nice. If you don't know about this legendary touring bike, there are a
      few links down below for you to check out.

      Here are the specs on the original factory build, all of which is included:

      Frame: 63cm ST, 58cm TT, lugged triple-butted Miyata tubes

      Headset: Tange Levin

      Bar/Stem: SR Randonneur / SR Royal-2

      Brakes: Dia Compe 980, Gran Compe 200 levers

      Derailleurs: Shimano Deore XT-EX, XT-106 shifters

      Freewheel: Shimano UG Gold 5 speed, 14-28

      Crankset: Sugino TAT 50x40x24, sealed BB

      Pedals: MKS Sylvan

      Tires: Miyata (Panaracer) Super Touring Nylon Belted, 700x32c SSW

      Rims: Araya Model 16A3, 36 hole front, 40 hole rear

      Hubs: Suntour, sealed bearing w/ QR

      Spokes: 14 ga stainless

      Saddle: Selle Italia anatomic, suede top

      Seat Pillar: SR custom P5B 26.8 mm

      Approx. weight: 27.5

      The bike is currently set up as a commuter/country cruiser, so it has a
      Technomic stem, promenade-style bars, and SunTour Thumbies. The tires on
      the bike are Schwalbe Marathon Plus, and they have plenty of life left
      in them. You also get ALL of the original gear that came with the bike,
      including the original tires, original SR stem/Randonneur bars/Gran
      Compe levers, and original suede Miyata-branded Selle Italia seat! The
      original rear rack is included, and I'll throw in a new front rack that
      has a platform and lowrider mounts. The front and rear derailleurs are
      1st-gen Deore XT ("Deer Head"), so it's friction shifting or bust. The
      action is period-correct but dialed, so it feels great and performs
      wonderfully.

      This bike has some nicks and scratches from locking and general use, but
      otherwise it's in excellent condition. This bike has never been in a
      crash. I have taken it down the Pacific Coast from Washington and on
      many overnighters in Sonoma County. I hate to sell it, but I've been
      entertaining the idea of having a local framebuilder make a custom
      cross/touring frame, and I need the scratch to get that off the ground.

      Contact me if you would like to set up a time to look at the bike. I
      live near downtown Santa Rosa. I won't budge on the price- if $1000
      sounds like too much, please don't waste your time. THIS BICYCLE IS
      WORTH EVERY PENNY. It is complete, all original, and in better shape
      than almost any similar bike you'll find on CL or eBay. You can take
      this bike on a cross-country fully-loaded tour tomorrow. Please don't
      waste my time with questions about the bike that you can answer yourself
      by doing a Google search. I am happy to be helpful to genuinely
      interested parties, but I don't want to go through the usual CL
      runaround. Thanks for your time, and good luck!

      More info:

      CATALOG: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_whtVpXkKwlQ/R1oW4-qjMwI/AAAAAAAAALk/3eK_M3nhVxc/s1600-h/img060.jpg

      SHELDON BROWN: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/japan.html (scroll down a little more than halfway and read the "Miyata" section)

      In the photos:

      1. On tour in 2010, fully loaded

      2. As it is right now

      3. As it is right now, detail

      4. Original tires, original bar/stem/brake combo