FS: Classic Merckx SLX Corsa Extra

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2001
      I bought a lightly used Merckx SLX Corsa Extra from a fellow intending to
      build it up, but too many bikes won't allow me to do so.

      The bike has a 53cm c-c seat tube with 54 cm top tube. It is lugged with an
      investment cast bridgeless bottom bracket shell, flat fork crown with Merckx
      logos cut and painted white, and Campy dropouts.

      It also has the following braze-ons: front derailleur, downtube shift lever
      bosses, internal top tube rear brake cable guide, two water bottle mounts,
      pump peg, and chain hanger. It also has chrome chainstays, dropouts, and
      fork tips.

      The color is the Team Weinmann paint scheme, which is a purple top tube,
      head tube, and fork with pearl white seat tube and down tube, and pink stays
      and bottom bracket area. It has some green decor, and there are matching
      Elite bottle cages that go with the bike.

      The frame and fork were made in 1990, and bought and built up as new old
      stock at the end of 1998. The buyer purchased the bike for his girlfriend,
      who rode it for less than 400 miles before giving up cycling. The bike has
      been stored safely in a house ever since. I will also include the like-new
      1990 Gita catalog that shows this bike, as
      well as the entire Merckx line, for that year.

      The bike is in excellent condition. There are two small chips on the seat
      stays that have been touched up. There are a couple of paint chips on the
      headtube that were probably done when the original purchaser removed the
      headset cups. There is some light paint rub on the entry and exit points of
      the internal brake cable routing tube where the metal ferrules were attached
      to the cable housing.

      This is a wonderful example of craftsmanship and quality, and would make a
      wonderful addition to any cyclist's collection. Picture available upon
      request.

      $650 plus shipping.

      Thanks,

      Frank Phillips