1980, Trek, 610, taupe, pics, 53.5cm, $200 (craigslist / Austin)

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2010
      1980, Trek, 610, taupe, pics, 53.5cm, $200 (craigslist / Austin)

      Not mine ... (pics)

      ---------------------------

      Rare 1980 TREK 610 road bike. Size 53.5cm. - $200 (S-Central)

      Date: 2010-12-01, 1:29AM CST
      Reply to: sale-m9k3b-2088709490@...

      Here's a cool, old Trek roadie I started restoring but no longer have time to for. It was made in 1980, back when Trek (est. 1976) was still a young, upstart, semi-custom bicycle manufacturer. The 61X series models were designed as good all-round sport-touring bikes. The serial number is 000273, and you can verify data at http://vintage-trek.com/index.htm.
      Sizing info:
      Frame size - 21"/53.5cm center-top
      Wheel size - 27"
      Seat tube length - 52cm center-center
      Standover height - 30.5"
      Top tube length - 54cm c-c
      Stem length - 60mm
      Handlebar width - 41cm c-c
      Crank arm length - 170mm

      General rider height for a frame this size is around 5'5"-5'8", but fit is dependent on many other factors, including: body proportions, riding style, flexibility, etc.

      In 1980, Trek was still making a name for itself and was far from the industry-leading company they are today. All they made were lugged, low-temperature, silver-brazed road bike framesets, and all were hand-built in Waterloo, WI. Frame tubing is highly-regarded and coveted Reynolds 531.

      Rear wheel spacing is 126mm, and the Suntour GS forged rear dropouts are horizontal, should you choose to do a single-speed conversion. Front & rear dropouts have eyelets to accommodate racks and fenders; great if you want to set it up for commuting.

      Shifters, F&R derailleurs, and freewheel are interesting and uncommon Suntour BL (Blue Line). Drivetrain is 12 speeds (2 front x 6 rear). Shifting on this bike is purely friction. If you don't understand the difference between friction and indexed shifting, you should probably look it up before proceeding. Hint: Sheldon Brown is a patron saint of cycling.

      Brake levers and calipers are Dia-Compe 500. Cranks are SR Custom. Hubs are Sunshine (aka Sansin) Gyromaster laced to 36-hole Rigida (made in France) rims. Tires are 27 x 1 1/8" Michelin Select in fair shape. Tread is in good shape, but the sidewalls show some deterioration.

      Overall, the paint is in decent shape for 30 years old, but there are numerous paint nicks. It's DuPont Imron, same as used on cars, so it's pretty easy to find matching paint if you want to touch it up. Color is pewter w/ slate panel. I've already cleaned and sanded off any significant rust spots.

      If you're looking for something cool, vintage, and uncommon, this is a good candidate. Price is firm. I believe $200 is reasonable, considering there are a ton of old bikes on CL in much worse shape or lower quality looking to get as much or more than what I'm asking. If you stuck this Trek in the closet and took out ten years from now, it would still be worth at least $200 due to its vintage appeal and collectibility. You can't say that for 99.5% of other bikes.

      Please don't ask me if the bike is available. If this post is up, the bike is still available. I'm located about two miles south of downtown. Any other relevant questions, feel free to ask. A number to call or text you would be nice. Please mention something about the Trek and not just "your item" to separate yourself from spammers and bots. Thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

      http://austin.craigslist.org/bik/2088709490.html