54c Custom Tierra Tourer, eBay, $880 OBO

  • Russ
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2010
      Not mine. Pics.

      Item number: 270559146629
      Item location: San Rafael, California, United States
      Ships to: Local pick-up only

      I am offering my custom TIERRA 54cm touring bicycle for sale. I had this bike built for myself in 1983.

      Please note: I have listed the bike for local pickup only, as I really don't know what shipping would cost you. I will take the bike to the San Rafael Performance Bicycle shop (415) 485-5878, or to A Bicycle Odyssey in Sausalito (415) 332-3050, or any local place of your choosing, and you can pay them directly for any shipping; I will help cooridnate this for you.

      The frame was hand made by Chris Pauley, a formidable rider of the times who disappeared into the world of mountain bikes, at the beginning of that industry's growth. It is made of double-butted Columbus tubing; a steel alloy with legendary riding qualities, and is a rich maroon and gold color combination, painted by Cycle Art.

      Cinelli Giro D'Italia (64-38) alloy drop bars have new Cat Eye black cotton bar tape over cork. Shimano Dura Ace stem. Campagnolo Super Record headset.

      Campagnolo Record hubs, 36 spoke. Suntour 13-15-17-19-23-26 freewheel in excellent condition. Campy Record front derailleur, Campy Super Record rear derailleur (excellent). Campy curved handle hub skewers. Campy old-style (1976) embossed downtube shifters.

      Shimano dropouts. Sealed (Swiss) bottom bracket, with Campy Super Record crank (170 Strada arms). The crank's chainrings are 42/52 in good condition, according to my mechanic (Bicycle Odyssey, Sausalito). The curved fork provides a nice cushion on the downhills and over bumpy roads.

      The thick leather Brooks Professional saddle is from my 1976 Schwinn Paramount touring bike, and although surface-cracked and worn, it is very comfortable and will outlast your grandchildren's cross country rides! The seatpost is a Campy Super Record, bought with the bike build.

      The brakes are also from my Paramount, and have never done anything but an excellent job of dignified stopping. They are Weinmann Carrera brakes, made in Switzerland, with long reach (for fenders and wider road tires). The Shimano 105 aero brake levers have good-excellent hoods, but both levers are scratched on their outsides.

      The frame pump is a very excellent-condition, Brevettato Impero, Made in Italy. It has a Campy presta head (reads Brev. Camp. Patent CAMPAGNOLO) – I can get about 105+ pounds of pressure in my tires, from this pump. (It has also been serviced over the years).

      There are bosses and braze-ons for 2 water bottles, fenders, and your rack and panniers (not for low-rider panniers). I have only toured with a sag wagon along, and never used all the touring gear.

      I have put less than 40 miles on my Tierra, since Bicycle Odyssey serviced it in June, 2007 ($303.07). - As well as the rear wheel rebuild, I had them clean and service both hubs, headset, front and rear derailleurs, chain and freewheel. I also had them check and service the sealed bottom bracket, etc., as needed.

      The wheels are the original Mavic G40s, and I have new Michelin Erilium 722x23 tires, and tubes on both wheels. I had another, used hub, laced to the rear wheel, with new stainless DT 14/15 spokes (36 spokes, front and rear wheels), and nipples. – I also had them tie and solder the rear wheel, which they did on both sides of the hub. – If you are not familiar with this trick, it stiffens the rear wheel and helps immensely, heading up the hills, particularly with weight - putting more of your power to the road. Please also notice the beefed-up chain-stays for additional stability.

      They also applied new rim tape, new brake cables and new derailleur cables.

      I have put a lot of happy miles on this bike, including three 400 mile tours through Sonora Pass/TiogaPass/Yosemite. The bike is stable, comfortable and fast on the downhills, and it is tight pumping up the hills. It is a joy to ride on the descent, with a frame and touring forks and seat that just simply eat the road. – Total weight, including one water bottle cage, is right at 22 pounds.

      The bicycle has always been stored inside my home, never outside, never garaged. There are some scratches and some minor paint blisters on the bike, but it is in absolutely excellent condition.

      The bicycle is also listed on Craigslist.