'83 56cm Specialized Expedition - $1,1000 o.b.o.

  • James Bond
    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2010
      Not mine. Pix on link.

      I have pored over Ted's photos of this Expedition time and time again. This is surely one of the best remaining examples of this great '80s touring classic. If it were my size, I'd have no hesitation at all in buying it.

      http://stockton.craigslist.org/bik/1735765747.html

      It is with a sad heart that I find myself in a position where I must
      sell my beloved '83 Specialized Expedition Touring Bike (56 cm). She has
      Surly Racks (front and rear) and custom-built wheels with Phil Wood
      hubs. The much sought after Expeditions were designed for fully-loaded,
      self-contained touring, but are also ideal as commuter bikes. It has
      brazed-on fittings for racks, fenders, low-rider front rack, chain rest,
      and 3 water bottles. It even has internal wiring for head and tail
      lights. I want her to go to a home where she will be appreciated and
      enjoyed. Email me for more details.

      Detailed photos can be found here: (http://www.seeworthy.com/bicycling/bicycles/expedition/index.html),
      (http://www.daystarbotanicals.com/discovery06/xcslides/index.html),
      (http://www.seeworthy.com/bicycling/touring/recovery08/photos/index.html).

      OK, the finer points: She is a 56 cm 1983 Specialized Expedition in
      excellent condition. She was fully restored using original and New Old
      Stock original era mid-80s top-of-the-line parts. I have even replaced
      parts after tours if they showed any signs of use. She has been
      maintained in pristine condition. Some of the photos show "mustache
      bars", but she is now wearing original Specialized/Nitto drops. The
      vintage Expeditions are truly among the finest mass-produced touring
      bikes ever sold. She has Mavic T217CD rims, Wheelsmith double-butted
      spokes (36 front, 40 rear), and Phil Wood hubs. She comes with Surly
      "Nice Racks" front and rear. I had plans to mount a Brooks saddle on her
      and Brooks leather bar wrap, but that will give her new owner something
      to do to personalize her. Pedals not included.

      * Handlebar stem: Specialized pearl (100 mm) (original)

      * Handlebar: Specialized Nitto drop bar (original)

      * Headset: Specialized (original - rebuilt)

      * Seatpost: Laprade fluted (original)

      * Brakes: DiaCompe "Gran Compe" cantilevers (NOS)

      * Brake levers: Suntour Superbe (original)

      * Shifters: Suntour Bar-ends

      * Crankset: Sugino XD500 (46x36x26) (new)

      * Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN73 (new)

      * Front deraileur: Suntour Mountech (NOS)

      * Rear deraileur: Suntour Cyclone Mk-II (NOS)

      * Freewheel: Suntour Winner Ultra-7 (12x34) (NOS)

      * Chain: SRAM PC871

      * Wheels: Custom built Mavic T217CD, Wheelsmith double-butted spokes
      (36 front, 40 rear; Phil Wood Hubs.

      * Racks: Surly "Nice Racks" - front and rear

      * Fenders/Mud Guards: SKS

      * Tires: Panaracer Pasela TG 700c x 32