'83 56cm Specialized Expedition - $1,1000 o.b.o.
- Not mine. Pix on link.
I have pored over Ted's photos of this Expedition time and time again. This is surely one of the best remaining examples of this great '80s touring classic. If it were my size, I'd have no hesitation at all in buying it.
It is with a sad heart that I find myself in a position where I must
sell my beloved '83 Specialized Expedition Touring Bike (56 cm). She has
Surly Racks (front and rear) and custom-built wheels with Phil Wood
hubs. The much sought after Expeditions were designed for fully-loaded,
self-contained touring, but are also ideal as commuter bikes. It has
brazed-on fittings for racks, fenders, low-rider front rack, chain rest,
and 3 water bottles. It even has internal wiring for head and tail
lights. I want her to go to a home where she will be appreciated and
enjoyed. Email me for more details.
Detailed photos can be found here: (http://www.seeworthy.com/bicycling/bicycles/expedition/index.html),
OK, the finer points: She is a 56 cm 1983 Specialized Expedition in
excellent condition. She was fully restored using original and New Old
Stock original era mid-80s top-of-the-line parts. I have even replaced
parts after tours if they showed any signs of use. She has been
maintained in pristine condition. Some of the photos show "mustache
bars", but she is now wearing original Specialized/Nitto drops. The
vintage Expeditions are truly among the finest mass-produced touring
bikes ever sold. She has Mavic T217CD rims, Wheelsmith double-butted
spokes (36 front, 40 rear), and Phil Wood hubs. She comes with Surly
"Nice Racks" front and rear. I had plans to mount a Brooks saddle on her
and Brooks leather bar wrap, but that will give her new owner something
to do to personalize her. Pedals not included.
* Handlebar stem: Specialized pearl (100 mm) (original)
* Handlebar: Specialized Nitto drop bar (original)
* Headset: Specialized (original - rebuilt)
* Seatpost: Laprade fluted (original)
* Brakes: DiaCompe "Gran Compe" cantilevers (NOS)
* Brake levers: Suntour Superbe (original)
* Shifters: Suntour Bar-ends
* Crankset: Sugino XD500 (46x36x26) (new)
* Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN73 (new)
* Front deraileur: Suntour Mountech (NOS)
* Rear deraileur: Suntour Cyclone Mk-II (NOS)
* Freewheel: Suntour Winner Ultra-7 (12x34) (NOS)
* Chain: SRAM PC871
* Wheels: Custom built Mavic T217CD, Wheelsmith double-butted spokes
(36 front, 40 rear; Phil Wood Hubs.
* Racks: Surly "Nice Racks" - front and rear
* Fenders/Mud Guards: SKS
* Tires: Panaracer Pasela TG 700c x 32
We want to hear all your funny, exciting and crazy Hotmail stories. Tell us now
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]