New 56cm Beautiful Eddy Merckx C-Record

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2010
      Beautiful Eddy Merckx C-Record<http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/1685891834.html>
      wow CN WC CA
      email this posting to a friend SF bay area craigslist > south bay > for sale / wanted > bicycles
      please flag with care:

      Beautiful Eddy Merckx C-Record - $2200 (Paso Robles)

      Date: 2010-04-10, 12:52PM PDT
      Reply to: sale-7pgw9-1685891834@... [Errors when replying to ads?]

      Available now is this stunning Eddy Merckx "Corsa Extra" ~1990 in near flawless Telekom livery. The frame is made from Columbus TSX tubing, and is 58cm C-T (measured), and I suppose ~56cm C-C.

      This bike was ridden in one charity ride and a couple of "coffee rides" and spent the rest of it's life hanging in the garage, covered to protect it from dust and such. It's so near perfect that I'm reluctant to even ride it, which is why I'm parting with it. It is 20 years-old, though. If someone stoops down and really looks, they'll find a blemish here and there, but there are no blemishes one would likely see from even a meter or more away.

      I bought the frame and fork from a collector in Germany a few years ago. It had never been built, so I had a mechanic friend "face & chase" the frame, then the fun began. I scoured the internet for NOS (new - old stock) period-correct components. Some were easy to find, while others were very difficult indeed. The components are mostly Campagnolo C-Record, Record, and Chorus.

      The bars and stem are very cool Cinelli bits...the front of the stem looks like the grill of an old car - way cool!
      The downtube-mounted shifters are NOS C-Record. These were the first indexed shifters from Campy.
      The complete brake system is also NOS. Thus the brake shoes and the hoods are perfect. One odd thing, though - the nut on the front of the front brake has some rust on it. I have no idea why/how just that one little spot is like that. It's visible in the pic, but not easily noticed in person. I just feel the need for full-disclosure.
      The Cables/Housings are all branded Campagnolo (NOS.)
      The headset is Campy Record (NOS)
      The seatpost is a stunning Campy model with the inlayed Campy logo.
      The rear derailleur is Chorus circa 1991, as is the front derailleur.
      The hubs are also 1991 Chorus with Mavic hoops lace to them. Continental 4 Seasons clinchers (new.)
      The Cranks are 172.5mm polished C-Record. The rings are in great shape. The non-drive side arm has some small pits which were polished out. They're barely visible, but they're there. I tried to photograph them but couldn't get them to show in a pic using my Nikon SLR.
      The saddle is nothing special - a TurboMatic Ti. Some white shoe polish would likely make it look new since it's not scuffed, just a bit soiled.
      The fork-mounted, German made "Multitronic" weatherproof cyclocomputer works flawlessly (it should, it's also an NOS item.)

      I'll throw-in a perfect Team Telekom jersey (size large) made by Nalini.

      I may still have the original Campy boxes that the NOS parts came in. You're welcome to them, too.

      ASK QUESTIONS! I can take specific photos if there are details you are interested in.

      a.. Location: Paso Robles
      b.. it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests