Tierra 54cm Touring Bicycle -ColumbusTubing 1983 XLENT!

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2010
      Tierra 54cm Touring Bicycle -ColumbusTubing 1983 XLENT!<http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/1680037882.html>
      Cheers CN WC CA
      email this posting to a friend SF bay area craigslist > north bay > for sale / wanted > bicycles
      please flag with care:

      Tierra 54cm Touring Bicycle -ColumbusTubing 1983 XLENT! - $1250 (san rafael)

      Date: 2010-04-06, 8:10PM PDT
      Reply to: sale-6vwkw-1680037882@... [Errors when replying to ads?]

      I am offering my custom TIERRA 54cm touring bicycle for sale. I had this bike built for myself in 1983, by a local craftsman named Paul Brown; a very noteworthy rider, blown-glass artist, and owner of a legendary custom shop known then as Cycle Dynamics, in Novato, California. He signed the front wheel for me (photo).
      PLEASE NOTE - The old LOOK pedals shown on the bike are not included. I forgot to remove them for the photo

      The frame was hand made by Chris Pauley, a formidable rider of the times who disappeared into the world of mountain bikes, at the beginning of that industry's growth. It is made of double-butted Columbus tubing; a steel alloy with legendary riding qualities, and is a rich maroon and gold color combination.

      Cinelli Giro D'Italia (64-38) alloy drop bars have new Cat Eye black cotton bar tape over cork. Shimano Dura Ace stem. Campagnolo Super Record headset.

      Campagnolo Record hubs, 36 spoke. Suntour 13-15-17-19-23-26 freewheel (not a cassete) in excellent condition. Campy Record front derailleur, Campy Super Record rear derailleur (excellent). Campy curved handle hub skewers. Campy old-style (1976) embossed downtube shifters.

      Shimano dropouts. Sealed (Swiss) bottom bracket, with Campy Super Record crank (170 Strada arms). The crank's chainrings are 42/52 in good condition, according to my mechanic (Bicycle Odyssey, Sausalito).

      The thick leather Brooks Professional saddle is from my 1976 Schwinn Paramount touring bike, and although surface-cracked and worn, it is very comfortable and will outlast your grandchildren's cross country rides! The seatpost is a Campy Super Record, bought with the bike build.

      The brakes are also from my Paramount, and have never done anything but an excellent job of dignified stopping. They are Weinmann Carrera brakes, made in Switzerland, with long reach (for fenders and wider road tires). The last brake pads were put on by the builder, when I had the bike serviced in (about) 1992. The pads (I don't know the brand) still look and break incredibly well, and silently! How the brake pads have lasted this long, and still brake so well (and no shutter or squeaks), I really don't know - and I live on a steep hill.

      The Shimano 105 aero brake levers have good-excellent hoods, but both levers are scratched on their outsides.

      The frame pump is a very excellent-condition, Brevettato Impero, Made in Italy. It has a Campy presta head (reads Brev. Camp. Patent CAMPAGNOLO) - I can get about 105+ pounds of pressure in my tires, from this pump. (It has also been serviced over the years).

      There are bosses and braze-ons for 2 water bottles, fenders, and your rack and panniers(fork end brazes-ons only, on the front). I have only toured with a sag wagon along, and never used all the touring gear.

      I have put less than 40 miles on my Tierra, since Bicycle Odyssey serviced it in June, 2007 ($303.07). - As well as the rear wheel rebuild, I had them clean and service both hubs, headset, front and rear derailleurs, chain and freewheel. I also had them check and service the sealed bottom bracket, etc., as needed.

      The wheels are the original Mavic G40s, and I have new Michelin Erilium 722x23 tires, and tubes on both wheels. I had another, used hub, laced to the rear wheel, with new stainless DT 14/15 spokes (36 spokes, front and rear wheels), and nipples. - I also had them tie and solder the rear wheel, which they did on both sides of the hub. - If you are not familiar with this trick, it stiffens the rear wheel and helps immensely, heading up the hills, particularly with weight - putting more of your power to the road. Please also notice the beefed-up chain-stays for additional stability.

      They also applied new rim tape, new brake cables and new derailleur cables.

      The bike has several thousand miles on it, including three 400 mile tours through Sonora Pass/TiogaPass/Yosemite. The bike is stable, and it is tight pumping up the hills. It is a joy to ride on the descent, with a frame and touring forks and seat that just simply eat the road. - Total weight, including one water bottle cage, is right at 22 pounds.

      The bicycle has always been stored inside my home, never outside, never garaged. There are some scratches and some minor paint blisters on the bike, but it is in absolutely excellent condition. The frame was painted by Cycle Art.

      It will take you whizzing through your local hills and valleys, across the country and back, or just to work and back, safely and comfortably.

      I hurt my knees about the same time I had this in the shop, mountain biking, and now ride only a carbon fiber bike on short rides near where I live.

      Please contact me for lots of detailed photos, or most preferably, come and see the bike for yourself. I will entertain reasonable offers.

      And thank you, if you've read all this!!!

      a.. it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

      PostingID: 1680037882

      a.. Copyright © 2010 craigslist, inc. b.. terms of use c.. privacy policy d.. feedback forum