55cm Vintage Ron Cooper Racing Bicycle

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2009
      Vintage Ron Cooper Racing Bicycle<http://edmonton.craigslist.ca/bik/1396428614.html>
      Cheers CN WC CA
      email this posting to a friend edmonton craigslist > for sale / wanted > bicycles
      please flag with care:

      Vintage Ron Cooper Racing Bicycle (Edmonton)

      Date: 2009-09-28, 11:07AM MDT
      Reply to: sale-72um2-1396428614@... [Errors when replying to ads?]

      Background: Ron Cooper started his career with Gillot Cycles in England in 1946 and is considered to be one of the finest custom frame builders of all time... his workmanship has been described as "perfection" and he continues to build custom frames using old world methods and builds to exacting standards.

      I am unsure of the production year of this Cooper (I have sent inquiries to Ron Cooper on this) although it was designed for 27 inch wheels which probably makes it a late 1970's model or the original buyer wanted it designed this way... as such I have fitted it with vintage 27 inch Maillard / Rigida wheels and some rather rare Avocet TT30 racing tyres that are considered to be the best 27 inch racing tyres ever produced.

      The workmanship on the frame and fork is beyond compare... I have never seen such beautiful, albeit simple lugwork, and the bike rides and handles like a dream and is exceptionally fast and responsive as only a steel frame can be.

      The other components are a mix of Camapagnolo, Sugino, Suntour, Cinelli, and Shimano.

      Campagnolo: Victory brake levers and brakes, headset, cable guides, and front derailer (I also have the rear Victory derailer)
      Sugino: Mighty 171mm crankset and chain rings with a Sugino bottom bracket... in excellent condition with very little wear.
      Suntour: Cyclone Mk1 GT long cage / touring derailer... this one of the finest friction derailers ever made. (derailer in picture is a Cyclone Mk2).
      Shimano: 600 aero seatpost and Arabesque downtube shifters
      Cinelli: A1 stem and bars (in beautiful condition)
      Saddle: Sell Italia Turbo

      I used the Sugino Mighty crank and Cyclone rear d as they are superior to the Campagnolo Victory components and because the Cyclone will handle a wider range rear freewheel, I have a 14-28 freewheel installed which allows for a nice all around gearing range. The Cyclone Mk1 (not shown) is aesthetically more pleasing, more desireable, and suits the bike much better and does not give up anything on the Mk2 when it comes to performance.

      The frame and fork are straight and true but it does have some scuffs and scrapes and some minor heat damage at the seatpost clamp... the original seatpost was seized and this cosmetic damage occurred when mild heating was required to free the frozen seatpost. All the cosmetic issues are minor and could be touched up quite easily. The paint finish is very light as this was typical for racing frames of this era.

      The frame is 55 cm downtube and top tube and weight is 21 pounds even with clipped pedals (which are shown but not included).

      The only Ron Cooper I have ever seen come up for sale was listed at 700.00 U.S. and I will consider any reasonable offers on this bicycle be they for the complete bicycle or the frameset and fork as I have no issue selling this separately... all the parts on this bicycle are in themselves very desirable.

      This bicycle has also been described as an heirloom bicycle and as such is quite collectible... it is a rare and vintage racing bike that is truly one of a kind.

      This bicycle has been professionally serviced, all the bearings have been overhauled, new cables have been installed.

      Partial trade offers will also be considered... although I can no longer race (the reason for this sale) I do enjoy light touring and am seeking a Miyata 610 or 1000 in a 54 -55 cm size.

      http://www.ravingbikefiend.com/bikepics/cooper1a.jpg

      I will send additional pictures to any serious buyers... scammers and triflers need not respond to this ad.

      a.. Location: Edmonton
      b.. it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests