60cm '84 Specialized Expedition - $795

  • James Bond
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2009
      Not mine. Plenty of pix at link, along with reprints of the original ads for the "Queen of the Fleet".

      http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/1252946944.html

      From Specialized Expedition 60cmTHE classic tourer: A cleaned up 1984 Specialized Expedition: Arguably the best production tourer of the eighties. Designed by Tim Neenan, current proprietor of Lighthouse Cycles: http://www.lighthousecycles.com/

      The late, great Sheldon Brown posted this about the Specialized Expedition on bikeforums.net:
      ". . .the frame is comparable to something you would pay $1500 for (just the frame) nowadays.
      The cantis are classic wide profile Deore XTs, possibly the best cantis ever made.
      The Sugino AT is believed by many to be the finest touring crankset ever, and I won't disagree."

      --61cm ctt; 60cm ctc seat tube.
      --58cm ctc top tube.
      --33 3/4" stand over.

      --Frame in very good condition: No dents, cracks, very few chain suck chips. . . Looks like this bike saw very few miles. Some small chips, a few shallow scratches, any rusting found in these were very light and taken away with #0000 steel wool and a couple of coats of wax.

      --Double-butted frame throughout, probably Ishiwata 022. Japanese made, probably by Miyata.
      --40 spoke dishless rear wheel; 36 spoke front. Champion (French) 700c rims.
      --Specialized branded sealed bearing hubs. "Guaranteed for life!" in the ad copy of the time.
      --Internal wiring for light. (Removed, but original can be easily put back in.)
      --Specialized branded bars (42cm Nitto), quill stem (Nitto), crankset (Sugino AT), headset (Shimano?), hubs (SunTour?), pedals (MKS Sylvan). . . Most of it all there--all original, that is.
      --Original Shimano Deore XT ("batwing") cantilevers.
      --Original paint, all decals removed. (Decals are easily purchased.)
      --Original saddle: Avocet Touring.
      --Blackburn rear rack (designed by Jim Blackburn while an engineering student at SJSU).

      Bike has been gone through completely:
      --Headset, crankset, and pedals cleaned and re-greased with Phil's. (hubs are sealed, inserted bearings)
      --New chain and 6-cog freewheel.
      --All new cables and housings.
      --New bartape (Specialized).

      Things I changed from original (very little):
      --Original headset was bone dry, and I lost a bearing, so I replaced it with a NOS headset of the same era (from a NOS '88 Trek 520). Looks like the same headset--inside and out!
      --Rear skewer not original.
      --Took off the rear SunTour Mountech derailleur. These have a reputation for a spring breaking in the jockey wheel. Replaced with used--though more modern--Shimano XTR. . . Still have the Mountech.
      --Replaced the front Mountech with a SunTour Superbe. The Mountech had been eaten with rust a lil bit, though it was functional.
      --Took out the internal wiring for light. Wire and grommmets retained.
      --Gum brake hoods not original: Weinman NOS, nice fit over--the original--SunTour Superbe brake levers with adjusters!
      --Tires are Continentals 25c X 700. Plenty of life, but much skinnier than original 38c?

      $795. Delivery possible within Bay Area

    • James Bond
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2009
        Not mine ( but if someone doesn't buy it soon, it may be ). Pix and sales brochure on link.

        http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/1264604249.html

        THE classic tourer: A totally re-built 1984 Specialized Expedition: Arguably the best production tourer of the eighties. Few touring bikes--then or now--can match the features of this bike: Designed by Tim Neenan, current proprietor of Lighthouse Cycles: http://www.lighthousecycles.com/

        The late, great Sheldon Brown posted this about the Specialized Expedition on bikeforums.net:
        ". . .the frame is comparable to something you would pay $1500 for (just the frame) nowadays.
        The cantis are classic wide profile Deore XTs, possibly the best cantis ever made.
        The Sugino AT is believed by many to be the finest touring crankset ever, and I won't disagree."

        --61cm ctt; 60cm ctc seat tube.
        --58cm ctc top tube.
        --33 3/4" stand over.

        --Frame in very good condition: No dents, cracks, very few chain suck chips. . . Looks like this bike has seen very few miles. Some small chips, a few shallow scratches, any rusting found in these were very light and taken away with #0000 steel wool and a couple of coats of wax.

        --Double-butted frame throughout, probably Ishiwata 022. Japanese made, probably by Miyata.
        --Super strong wheels: 40 spoke dishless rear wheel; 36 spoke front. Champion (French) 700c rims.
        --Specialized branded sealed bearing hubs. "Guaranteed for life!" in the ad copy of the time.
        --Internal wiring for light. (Removed, but original can be easily put back in.)
        --Specialized branded (probable manufacturer in parentheses): bars (42cm Nitto), quill stem (Nitto), crankset (Sugino AT), headset (Shimano?), hubs (SunTour?), pedals (MKS Sylvan). . . Most of it all there--all original, that is. Any deviations from stock: see below.
        --Original Shimano Deore XT ("batwing") cantilevers.
        --Original paint, all decals removed. (Decals are easily purchased.)
        --Original saddle: Avocet Touring I.
        --Blackburn rear rack (designed by Jim Blackburn while an engineering student at SJSU). Front, matching Blackburn low-rider rack included (unmounted)

        Bike has been gone through completely:
        --Headset, crankset, and pedals cleaned and re-greased with Phil's Waterproof Grease. (hubs are sealed, cartridge-style inserted bearings)
        --New chain and 6-cog freewheel.
        --All new cables and housings.
        --New bartape (Specialized, of course!).

        Things I changed from original (very little):
        --Original headset was bone dry, and I lost a bearing, so I replaced it with a NOS headset--and races--of the same era (from a NOS '88 Trek 520). Looks like the same headset--inside and out!
        --Took off the rear SunTour Mountech derailleur. These have a reputation for a spring breaking in the jockey wheel. Replaced with used--though more modern--Shimano XTR. . . Still have the Mountech.
        --Replaced the front Mountech with a SunTour Superbe. The Mountech had been eaten with rust a lil bit, though it was functional.
        --Took out the internal wiring for light. Wire and grommmets retained.
        --Gum brake hoods not original: Weinman NOS, nice fit over--the original--SunTour Superbe brake levers with adjusters!
        --Tires are Continentals 25c X 700. Plenty of life, but much skinnier than original 38c?

        One thirty mile ride since re-build: Rides, handles and shifts great! (Granny gear got me up a hill my modern steed with modern triple wouldn't!)

        $795. Delivery possible within Bay Area

        Click on any "Specialized Expedition 60cm" hyperlink below image, and it will take you to many more, plus copies of original ad copy, reviews, specs, 1984 price ($599).