1981, Trek, 710 frameset/parts, pewter, pics, 22.5", $100 (craigslist / Seattle)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2 7:44 AM
      1981, Trek, 710 frameset/parts, pewter, pics, 22.5", $100 (craigslist / Seattle)

      Not mine ... (pics on site -- that I can't see)

      1981 Trek 710 lugged 531 frame - $100 (Oly or Seattle this weekend)

      Reply to:sale-2e8nw-1200939897@...
      Date: 2009-06-01, 9:45PM PDT

      Up for sale is one vintage lugged steel Trek bicycle frame and some components. The frame serial number is 001686, indicating an early 1981 manufacture. The pewter color with red seatube panel, and Reynolds 531 sticker points towards a 700 series frame (probably sold as a 710 frame, and built up to the owner’s specifications). You may know, Trek frames of this era were handmade in Waterloo, Wisconsin, using silver brazing. The 700 series frame used Reynolds 531 double butted tubing throughout, with horizontal dropouts in the rear. This would make an excellent restoration project, or could be converted to a singlespeed or fixed gear bike.
      I measured the frame as 57cm x 57cm, which is likely a 22-1/2” frame, per Trek’s 1981 catalog. This bike was about $600 when new in 1981! The components include Shimano Dura-Ace seatpost, Dura-Ace AX rear derailuer, 600 front derailleur, 600 downtube shift levers, Mavic stem, and Modolo Speedy brakes. The crankset is Sugino, with the crown logo.
      While not in showroom condition, this is quite worthy of refinishing. Clean the surface rust and spot paint, or strip and give it a proper repaint. Polish the aluminum components, and fit it out with a wheelset, bar, and saddle of your choice! For information about these great old bicycles, check out http://www.vintage-trek.com/
      I only wish this fit me, but somehow I keep finding these 57cm frames, when I ride a 61x59… I would consider a trade for a Raleigh Competition or International, or a silver brazed Trek., or possibly something else built with quality steel and pretty lugs, provided the frame was my size.
      Email or call; my daytime number is 360-570-2543 from 7-5. Thanks!
      I’ve got tons of other bike stuff for sale that I’ve not written ads for yet; check out the photos here:
      http://s706.photobucket.com/albums/ww61/JSWphotos/ForSale/
      I’ll be working in Seattle this weekend, so if we work out an agreement ahead of time, I could bring anything with me.

      Location: Oly or Seattle this weekend

      http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/bik/1200939897.html