Tunturi road bike with Shimano AX groupo

  • rickpaulos
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2008
      http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/bik/683569123.html

      This is one rare bike for sure. It is a Tunturi road bicycle. Yes, the
      same company that makes high end exercise equipment. Built in the
      early 1980s and equiped with the early Shimano 600 AX component
      groupo. And it has it all, the aero headset cover, the aero water
      bottle & holder, the aero derailers, aero shift levers, brakes, brake
      levers, pedals, toe clips. Note the cool AX hub flanges where all the
      spoke heads are on the inside of the flanges. Note the special clip to
      restrain the brake cables! Have you ever seen that?

      Nitto stem, SR bars & seat post, Concor saddle, rims? are straight, tires?

      This frame is "Made in Finland", not the world renown center for
      bikes, but is for exersise equipment. So what is with the Lion of
      Flanders on the head tube logo?

      Frame is about a 23" or 59cm.

      The good: This bike is in pretty good shape. 99.99% complete, missing
      one rear dropout adjuster nut. No rust except for the rear brake
      caliper mounting nut and the awful spokes. Just decades of grime from
      storage. I don't think this bike was ridden all that much.
      The fair: tires are fair, tubes not inflated. slight scratches on each
      brake lever from getting passed around in storage but not from any crash.
      The bad: this bike has been sitting for a very long time and needs a
      complete overhaul. The oem shimano grease has petrified and all the
      bearings need a thourough cleaning & regreasing. The spokes are shot
      and need to be replaced. The front brake caliper has some damage. The
      gouges could be filed out and polished. Not sure what part of the
      caliper is bent, either the back plate or the pivot bolt or maybe the
      one arm. It works as is but would need expert tlc to make it right.

      The rare: This stuff is so rare. Shimano first introduced the AX lines
      (duraace and then the 600) prior to the '84 Los Angelos Olympics and
      it didn't survive long at all before shimano dropped production.

      The Ultra rare: a Tunturi bike? I've only seen 1 other and that was
      mtb bike with the same turturi exercise bike color scheme, white with
      green decals as this road bike.

      Price is quite firm. If it doesn't sell, it will be parted out via e b
      a y.

      I've shipped many bikes and it will be packaged quite well if shipping
      is needed. I typically use fedex ground and will include insurance to
      the asking price & shipping cost. Est $30-40 for fedex ground max.
      Local pick up is always welcome.

      Payment: personal checks will cause a 10 day delay in shipping (66
      months delay for nigerian money), I will accept paypal, usps money
      orders or cash.

      See more pictures at tiny url dot com slash 3um5nl