62cm touring bike, lugged, double-butted cromo, indexed bar-ends - $400 (berkeley)

  • karlkras@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2008
      karlkras@... has forwarded you this craigslist.org posting.Please see below for more information.

      62cm touring bike, lugged, double-butted cromo, indexed bar-endsReply to: sale-525249077@...: 2008-01-01, 2:02PM
      It's a Miyata touring frame ("Mayata 1000") from the early 90's. Almost all the components are newer than that, from when I rebuilt it from basically a frame and fork. It's built up for touring with a touring crank, two H20 cages and rack, cantilevers for easy fender installation, but it could also make a nice commuter or cross-bike with the right tires. The frame is nicely lugged with brass, classic geometry, double-butted chromoly, with Miyata's own in-house tubes, pretty light for a frame this size.

      Frame repairs:
      I've been in the hobby/business of doing steel frame repairs for a while now, and this is a frame I worked on and turned into a bike for myself.
      The right-side drop-out and the seat-binder braze-on were cracked. I rode on the repairs for 2 years, no problem. I think they came out pretty well and are not structural issues, but aesthetically, they are noticable, spar urathane clear-coat where the paint was sanded off for the braze. I think they look cool and give the frame some unique character.

      Components breakdown:

      Wheels: Sunrims double-walled CR18's rims (touring rims), paralax frnt hub, Quando rear hub (8speed cassette). Kevlar stripped tires, 25c. Presta valves.

      Drive train:

      Shimano Ultegra 8 speed indexed bar-end shifters

      Shimano LX crank, three aluminum rings, 54 39 28

      Shimano LX frnt deraileur, XT rear

      Shimano cartridge BB

      42cm ergo-bars, I forget the make

      Shimano 105 brake-levers, nice ergo design, hoods in good shape

      The saddle is nothing special (kept mine), generic, but reasonably comfy, but that's something you'll probably want to personalize anyways.

      Pedals: simple road platforms (sorry, I'm keeping my spd's). They are nice in that they are repackable.

      I don't know the make of the brakes, but they are the real old-school touring variety, very simple and lightweight, but not particularly easy to adjust.

      Ritchey Force steel quill stem.

      I'm an experienced bike mechanic, so feel free to riddle me any questions of your liking. I may also make reasonable modifications / part swaps for a buyer who asks nicely, for instance, a stem change for a good fit.

      I'm not that into packing this in a box, so people who want to come pick up will get first dibs.

      One more thing: For theft protection / verification or whatever, the serial number is T285693

      it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

      Original URL: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/525249077.html

      this craigslist posting was forwarded to you by someone using our
      email-a-friend feature - if you want to prevent these, please go to: