  • cscoer
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29, 2004
      This is a rather uninformed question, and anyone who could just
      provide a short phrase to steer me in the right direction, well,
      that would be appreciated.

      I have a vintage Trek frame from 1981. While I have been able to
      locate the original frame manual, I don't know the spacing on the
      wheels that came with the bike--all I have is a frame, and the
      manual, being from 1981, probably assumed that everyone knew what
      the spacing was.

      Can anyone tell me what kind of spacing was used back then? An 8 sp
      wheel with a casette hub is too wide for the frame. What would work?
      A 6 sp freewheel? Or is there some just completely different style
      of hub used back in 1981 that I have to seek out from Harris
      Cyclery?

      Much thanks in advance.
    • bobrosebrough21045
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2 7:04 AM
        I believe that the spacing was 126 mm up to about 1991 or so for
        trek. The 6 and 7 speed rear hubs of the 80's used 126 mm rear
        hubs. If this is a steel frame, it can be easily cold set to 130 mm
        to acomodate the 8+ speed rear hubs.

        Bob Rosebrough
        Columbia, MD