Re: Lemon Pledge

  • gerald.r.kinder@boeing.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 1, 2010
      I am by no means an expert on this (that why I asked the question) and have only just put some pledge in a topbar hive I hope to attract a swarm into. From what I read, the smell of lemon grass oil and lemon Pledge smells like a queen. More specifically, it smells like the more expensive QMP (Queen Mandibular Pheromone) lures. I just sprayed pledge on the wood inside the hive. Nothing yet, but it's only been a few days. The common thread in all the "how to attract bees" is to have some old comb in the hive. Then add the scent of your choice (or pocket book).

      If you want to go with the lemon grass oil, this link has a good price.
      http://www.nutritiongeeks.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm=lemongrass+oil
      I don't know anything about the site, but I assume they are as good a place to shop as any.

      One guy I read a post from said that he used his dead queens, crushed into a jar of alcohol as lures. He would dab a bit of the alcohol/queen goo into the wood. He said it worked.

      Another post said that the queen pheromone smells like lemon grass oil and pledge smells like lemon grass oil to us humans. But, the real question is what does it smell like to bees? The point being that it may not smell right at all to the bees.

      The best post I read said that catching bees is like fishing, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.