Anyone with bees that need a new home, please let me know.

  • Long Beach HoneyBee
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
      Message

      Hi Folks,

      I have a backyard hive and up until this week I had a hive at Wrigley Gardens in Long Beach (http://wrigleygarden.blogspot.com/). The Wrigley hive was from a couple of swarms and cutouts I had done this year. The last cutout was merged in 10/8/10.

      As of 10/23/10 the garden hive was doing excellent. with lots of new brood, pollen and nectar.

      Well, this Monday 11/29/10, I checked the hive again. To my dismay the hive was dead.

      • Found lots of dead bees at the bottom of the hive (200 or more). I checked a handful and they all had tongues hanging out.
      • Bees had attached all Cutout Comb.
      • Comb had lots of pollen and honey. Some honey capped.
      • A dozen or more dead bees head first in pollen comb, tails sticking out.

      At this time, it is the wrong time of the year to do splits from my backyard hive to replace the garden bees. So, now I am looking for replacements.

      Anyone with bees that need a new home, please let me know.

      Henry Kurland

      Long Beach Honey

       562-427-2114  LongBeachHoneyBee@...

    • Russell Levine
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
        Sounds like poison. How tragic! Poor little bees.

        Sent from my iPhone
        Russ Levine
        Carpe Diem. "Seize The Day"
        909 560 1063
      • Gregg Finley
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
          Henry,

          There is an add in the Orange County Craigslist for a gentleman who is closing down his beekeeping business.  The ad indicates that he has 400+ bee families looking for a new landlord.  Maybe it would be worth checking with him?

          Gregg

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2010
            Message
            My thoughts too. It also happened at the same location during the summer.

            If I come across any swarms or cutout I will try again. Else, when I can, I will do splits from my backyard hive.

            See Ya at the luncheon.

            Respectfully,

            Henry Kurland

            kurland@... - http://henry.kurland.com

            home: 562-427-7090, cell: 562-427-2114, fax: 562-366-9368

            2659 Chestnut Avenue, Long Beach, CA 90806