Captured a BIG swarm in Whiter, Is there enought Food in Hacienda Hts?

  • gerald.r.kinder@boeing.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2010
      I picked up a large swarm in Whiter last Monday. It was ~30 feet up in a tree and about half again bigger than a basket ball; my guess is 6-8 pounds of bees. It had been in the tree at least 2 weeks, maybe longer. There were several large sections of honeycomb built out but no honey. We cut the branch and lowered the branch to the ground with a rope. I got most of the bees into a box and hived them on Tuesday. I put them into a top bar hive and they are now clustering around the top. I put a Boardman feeder in the back of the TBH, just set it on the bottom screen, and they seem to be drinking it up at a rate of a quart of 1:1 syrup a day. I am inclined to cut off the feeding but I want them to build up some comb, stores and brood for winter. I am not sure if there is enough food in the area for that. With the syrup in the hive, not many of the bees seem to be heading out looking for their own food. I have not seen the queen yet. I thought I would hold off looking for here until there is some comb built up. The bees are generally darker Italians but there is a mix of smaller black bees with gray strips (no brown at all) that I am not familiar with. There are a lot of drones in this swarm which are almost black and seem to be of various sizes from just big to huge.

      My question is about feeding the swarm (or not to feed the swarm). Are there enough flowers left in Hacienda Heights area to build up a large swarm like this one for winter? And if not, should I start feeding patties and 2:1 syrup to balance out their diet?
    • radu nastase
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2010
        First it was not a swarm but a colony if there was honeycomb built.
        Sugar gives the bees energy buy not food.
        Pollen is the food that they need to raise larve.
        Feed every other day or 3 times a week.