Twin Tower Update (Week 2)

  • Long Beach HoneyBee
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2010
      Message

      Twin Tower Update (Week 2)!

       Yesterday morning (5/31)  after re-hiving my NUC to a Large Super, I decided to check in on my Twin Tower.

      I only opened the 3 covers. Left and Right had lots of activity.

      Center is the honey super on a queen excluder. Its only been a week since I replaced the top feeder with the frames and they are well along to building comb.

      About a half hour after I checked them, I noticed that there were thousands of bees forming a swarm and circling the tower. I thought, OH NO they are going to swarm off. To my surprise, as I watched, 15 minutes later, all of the bees headed back into the right side and top of the tower. A handful even went into the left side.

      It all caught me by surprise and I never thought to grab my camera/phone. There were so many bees that the hive was shaded and had no shadow of its own. Everything is quiet and back to normal. No sign of fighting. Actually the girls were a lot less aggressive today. There is usually at least 2 or 5 that would buzz me when working the hive. Today there was only 1 or 2, even when I was watching them form the swarm.

      Henry E. Kurland Bee

      Long Beach Honey

       562-427-2114  LongBeachHoneyBee@...
    • radu nastase
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2010
        It looks nice but how fast are they filling it with honey?

[...]

         562-427-2114  LongBeachHoneyBee@ verizon.net

      • Long Beach HoneyBee
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2010
          Message
          Hi Andrei,

          They are still building comb.

          It has only been 14 days since the split and 7 since I added the new frames to the shared super.
          I think they now have a queen since they swarmed and re-entered the white tower(right side) yesterday.

          When I did the split, the bottom large brood boxes had 5 brood frames each on the left and 5 new(foundation, no comb) frames on the right. So there is a lot to build out.

          It didn't occur to me at the time, but I should have reversed the large and medium brood boxes, centered the brood frames with the new frames on the outside.