Re: [BASC] Swarm Cell

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2010
      Ah, a seasoned Yahoo user! Great! For those members who are not familiar with Yahoo and how to post and view pictures etc, it might be a good idea to list the URL:

      to help guide those who don't see an attachment.

      ---- kazysd <kazys@...> wrote:
      > Can some tell me if that's a swarm cell in the picture I've posted?
      > Thanks,
      > Cass

    • Richard Rosewitz
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2010
        Dear Cass,
        I don't think that I see a Queen cell; I see a number of drone cells though.
        Regards

        To: BKASC@yahoogroups.com
        From: wd6esz@...
        Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 16:19:22 -0800
        Subject: Re: [BASC] Swarm Cell

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/BKASC/ photos/album/ 998749467/ pic/1154858798/ view?picmode= &mode=tn& order=ordinal& start=1&count= 20&dir=asc

        ---- kazysd <kazys@domkus. com> wrote:
        > Can some tell me if that's a swarm cell in the picture I've posted?
        > Thanks,
        > Cass

      • kazysd
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
          I thought that's what a swarm queen cell looks like. Why would they be making drones? They're not getting ready to swarm are they?
          Thanks,
          Cass

          --- In BKASC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Rosewitz <rgrosewitz@...> wrote:

          > Dear Cass,
          >
          > I don't think that I see a Queen cell; I see a number of drone cells though.
          >
          > Regards
          >

          > To: BKASC@yahoogroups.com
          > From: wd6esz@...
          > Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 16:19:22 -0800
          > Subject: Re: [BASC] Swarm Cell
          >

          > Ah, a seasoned Yahoo user! Great! For those members who are not familiar with Yahoo and how to post and view pictures etc, it might be a good idea to list the URL:

          > to help guide those who don't see an attachment.
          >
          > ---- kazysd <kazys@...> wrote:
          > > Can some tell me if that's a swarm cell in the picture I've posted?
          > > Thanks,
          > > Cass

        • Russell Levine
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
            They are making drones cuz it's the season for mating. You will have to watch your hive about every 10 days to be sure mo queen cells are being made.  Look for peanut shaped cells that hang off side or bottom not cells with caps that look like bullets.

            I will add this to the meeting PowerPoint for march.

            Russ

            Sent from my iPhone
            Russ Levine
            Carpe Diem. "Seize The Day"
            909 560 1063

            On Mar 2, 2010, at 9:39 PM, "kazysd" <kazys@...> wrote:

            I thought that's what a swarm queen cell looks like. Why would they be making drones? They're not getting ready to swarm are they?
            Thanks,
            Cass

            --- In BKASC@yahoogroups. com, Richard Rosewitz <rgrosewitz@ ...> wrote:

            > Dear Cass,
            >
            > I don't think that I see a Queen cell; I see a number of drone cells though.
            >
            > Regards
            >

            > To: BKASC@yahoogroups. com
            > From: wd6esz@...
            > Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 16:19:22 -0800
            > Subject: Re: [BASC] Swarm Cell
            >

            > Ah, a seasoned Yahoo user! Great! For those members who are not familiar with Yahoo and how to post and view pictures etc, it might be a good idea to list the URL:

            > to help guide those who don't see an attachment.
            >
            > ---- kazysd <kazys@...> wrote:
            > > Can some tell me if that's a swarm cell in the picture I've posted?
            > > Thanks,
            > > Cass

            > http://clk.atdmt. com/GBL/go/ 201469227/ direct/01/

          • Richard Rosewitz
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
              Dear Cass,
              The construction of drone cells means that your bees are now in the mode of spring buildup. The swarming will come later: the hive has to have males before they make new queens; otherwise how will the new queen get mated?
              Some beekeeping books will tell you to cut out queen cells (true queen cells are shaped like peanuts angling out from the rest of the comb either at the bottom of the comb or near the bottom) to prevent swarming. My own experience tells me that this is a very laborious way of not totally preventing swarming (it is probable that you will miss a queen cell in some hives).
              After a couple of years trying to prevent swarming by this cutting-out-queen-cells method (and wasting a lot of work), I just went along with the bees' natural impulse to swarm instead of partly fruitlessly fighting them: whenever I observed a queen cell in a hive, I split that hive on the spot. I transferred the existing queen and some frames of brood and most of the honey to a second hive, and left the queen cells, some brood, and some honey in the old hive. After swarm season was over (probably in mid-May in Southern California), I might have re-combined the 2 hives if they were relatively weak.
              (Use the newspaper method to recombine them, - putting a sheet of newpaper between the 2 hives with a few tiny holes so that the odor of both hives will mingle; they will chew through the newspaper to re-unite the hives. By that time, the odors of the hives will have intermingled and the bees of both hives will accept each other. The queens will fight, and one will be left, -probably the younger one. If you just put them together without the newspaper, the 2 hives will fight each other, and you will end up with a lot of dead bees.)
              Or I would have bought some queens in advance, and/or set up or bought a "nuc" (short for nucleus, - a starter hive of perhaps 3-4 frames of  bees), and married the nuc with the split-off hive with the queen cells (the queen from the nuc will destroy the queen cells), again using the newspaper method to unite the 2 colonies.
              The hives might start to swarm in March, so check your hives each week or two, looking for the peanut-shaped queen cells. Again I strongly recommend against the cutting-out queeen cells method. It is very time consuming, and it is easy to miss a queen cell, and then the bees will still wind up in the trees (after swarming).
              Make sure that the hives get plenty of frames to store honey. They should be starting to bring it in (the wild mustard and citrus are starting to bloom). If they don't have room to store the nectar, they will swarm faster. Giving them more room (frames and boxes) now can delay the swarming until April.
              Regards,
              Richard

              To: BKASC@yahoogroups.com
              From: kazys@...
              Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 05:39:59 +0000

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
                Thanks, Richard. That's really good information. I'm going to put a super on it and keep an eye out for swarm cells. If they do, then I will try splitting it.