Re: [BASC] Beekeeper friend of mine needs advice

  • radu nastase
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 19, 2013
      The bees attacked the smelliest creature around and good thing it was the rooster.
      It is the first time I hear about a rooster being attacked by bees but .......
      I have rabbits within 5 feet of the hives and have seen no problem at this time.
      Selling a property with bees on it might be a challenge and he should take them with him or find somebody willing to do it.
      But then there are exceptions all the time.

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 20, 2013
        Now my friend says he was attacked....because he did not smoke them...and he was in the path of the bees...is there any other way to know if they are Africanized or just angry honey bees? You mentioned putting in a new queen...and waiting and seeing...if they are as volatile as they were before...is that the only way....?

        Lynn

        ---- Honey- Verizon <barebeeshoney@...> wrote:
        > Sounds tragic and based upon what you wrote, the rooster was in the wrong place at the wrong time. If they were Africanized the beekeeper would have been attacked as well.
        >
        > As for taking the hive, shouldn't be too much of a problem. Unless he buys a known queen, it will be 2-3 months before the beekeeper will be able to determine If the new queen/hive has become Africanized. Good luck
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone
        > Russ Levine
        > Carpe Diem. "Seize The Day"
        > 909 560 1063
        >

        > On Jul 19, 2013, at 10:57 AM, <lynnfc@...> wrote:
        >
        > > My friend had a rogue swarm of bees take over one of his empty bee boxes that was sitting out.. He has basically left it alone and the bees have filled up full frames of honey. One day he decided to harvest a frame or two and as he approached the hive, no bee activity welcomed him or tried to repel him. After he opened the hive, and selected a frame to harvest, then the bees started to swarm and moved towards his chicken coop, not him. They attacked one of his roosters and killed it.
        > >
        > > What he wants to know, since he is in escrow whether he might have Africanized bees in and around his property? Should he call in any county authorities to double check? Which county authorities should he call, if needed? The admininistrator of the escrow is concerned for the new property owners.
        > >
        > > Granted, I'm not sure if he plans to take the hive with him to his new property, but what should his approach be in this tricky situation?
        > >
        > > Any of you senior beekeepers who have advice what he should do to not jeopardize escrow would be helpful...
        > >
        > > His property is a magnet on top of a hill for bees coming by...who decided to camp out somewhere to do their thing,
        > >
        > > I'll pass on your advice.
        > >
        > > Lynn Casella
        > > Cell 626-818-2571

      • Honey- Verizon
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 20, 2013
          Almost any hive will display the behavior you describe if not smoked and being disturbed because frames are being removed. If the hive was being handled roughly or bumped, even a non Africanized hive will protect itself.

          I guess now smoking them will be part of the routine and not an outlier.

          Russ

          Sent from my iPhone
          Russ Levine
          Carpe Diem. "Seize The Day"
          909 560 1063

          On Jul 20, 2013, at 8:37 AM, <lynnfc@...> wrote:

          > Now my friend says he was attacked....because he did not smoke them...and he was in the path of the bees...is there any other way to know if they are Africanized or just angry honey bees? You mentioned putting in a new queen...and waiting and seeing...if they are as volatile as they were before...is that the only way....?
          >
          > Lynn
          >

          > ---- Honey- Verizon <barebeeshoney@...> wrote:
          >> Sounds tragic and based upon what you wrote, the rooster was in the wrong place at the wrong time. If they were Africanized the beekeeper would have been attacked as well.
          >>
          >> As for taking the hive, shouldn't be too much of a problem. Unless he buys a known queen, it will be 2-3 months before the beekeeper will be able to determine If the new queen/hive has become Africanized. Good luck
          >>
          >> Sent from my iPhone
          >> Russ Levine
          >> Carpe Diem. "Seize The Day"
          >> 909 560 1063
          >>

          >> On Jul 19, 2013, at 10:57 AM, <lynnfc@...> wrote:
          >>
          >>> My friend had a rogue swarm of bees take over one of his empty bee boxes that was sitting out.. He has basically left it alone and the bees have filled up full frames of honey. One day he decided to harvest a frame or two and as he approached the hive, no bee activity welcomed him or tried to repel him. After he opened the hive, and selected a frame to harvest, then the bees started to swarm and moved towards his chicken coop, not him. They attacked one of his roosters and killed it.
          >>>
          >>> What he wants to know, since he is in escrow whether he might have Africanized bees in and around his property? Should he call in any county authorities to double check? Which county authorities should he call, if needed? The admininistrator of the escrow is concerned for the new property owners.
          >>>
          >>> Granted, I'm not sure if he plans to take the hive with him to his new property, but what should his approach be in this tricky situation?
          >>>
          >>> Any of you senior beekeepers who have advice what he should do to not jeopardize escrow would be helpful...
          >>>
          >>> His property is a magnet on top of a hill for bees coming by...who decided to camp out somewhere to do their thing,
          >>>
          >>> I'll pass on your advice.
          >>>
          >>> Lynn Casella
          >>> Cell 626-818-2571

        • Gary Ilmanen
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 20, 2013
            You could catch a half-cupfull or so, alcohol kill them, and send them to the lab in Tuscon for the free analysis.

          • <lynnfc@...>
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 20, 2013
              Gary,

              What lab are you referring to....name, address, phone no. if you know it.

              A good scientific answer if one really wants to identify the bees and whether they are Africanized. Who works in the lab?

              Lynn
              ---- Gary Ilmanen <snick001@...> wrote:
              > You could catch a half-cupfull or so, alcohol kill them, and send them to
              > the lab in Tuscon for the free analysis.
              >

              > On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 8:37 AM, <lynnfc@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > > ...is there any other way to know if they are Africanized or just angry
              > > honey bees?

            • Rich
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 21, 2013
                Of course if you are alcohol'ing a half cup of bees, you may want to check for mites while you're at it.

                Rich

              • <lynnfc@...>
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 21, 2013
                  Still want the address, name, phone no. etc. of lab in Tucson which does examination to determine if Africanized...which really was the main question asked by my email...how to scientifically determine if bees are Africanized...someone must know....

                  Lynn

                  Thanks for your suggestion Rich...

                • <lynnfc@...>
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 21, 2013
                    Doesn't the CA Dept.of Agriculture have such a lab in CA?

                    Lynn

                    Thanks to Russ Andrei...as well for comments.

                    ---- lynnfc@... wrote:
                    > Still want the address, name, phone no. etc. of lab in Tucson which does examination to determine if Africanized...which really was the main question asked by my email...how to scientifically determine if bees are Africanized...someone must know....
                    >
                    > Lynn
                    >
                    > Thanks for your suggestion Rich...
                    >

                    > ---- Rich <wd6esz@...> wrote:
                    > > Of course if you are alcohol'ing a half cup of bees, you may want to check for mites while you're at it.
                    > >
                    > > Rich
                    > > ---- Gary Ilmanen <snick001@...> wrote:
                    > > > You could catch a half-cupfull or so, alcohol kill them, and send them to
                    > > > the lab in Tuscon for the free analysis.

                  • john connell
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 21, 2013

                      California Animal Health and Food Safety Laboratory University of California, Davis

                      http://cahfs.ucdavis.edu

                      They have an office in san bernadino but I don't know if they examine bees.
                      John

                      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

                      From: lynnfc@... <lynnfc@...>;

                    • <lynnfc@...>
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 21, 2013
                        Thanks John...we'll give it a try. Must be some way to take a specimen to have it examined to determine Africanized or not....unless it's just a bee behavior and not a physical trait ....Lynn

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 21, 2013

                          http://www.ars.usda.gov/main/site_main.htm?modecode=53-42-03-00

                          Carl Hayden Bee Research Center

                          2000 East Allen Road,         Phone:  520-647-9107
                          Tucson, AZ  85719                    Fax:  520-670-6493

                          Might not be doing the AHB ID's anymore, call first.  They used to promote it on the website, but I didn't see it now.

                          --

                          Terms of Use:  I am an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of California.  Unless we have both signed a formal retainer agreement, you are not my client, and my discussion of issues does not constitute legal advice.  There is a risk that employers and other third parties could read unencrypted e-Mail.  You should also know that under Presidential Executive Order, the National Security Agency or the Department of Homeland Security might read this e-Mail without warning, warrant, or notice. This e-Mail might contain information that is legally privileged attorney-client communication, attorney work product, proprietary, or otherwise protected by law from disclosure.  e-Mail is intended solely for the use of the recipient(s) named in the header. If you are not that person, you are hereby notified that reading, copying or distributing the contents of this e-Mail is prohibited.  If you have received this e-Mail in error, please immediately notify me and destroy all copies.  Unintended transmissions shall not constitute waiver of the attorney-client or any other privilege. Unless expressly stated to the contrary in this e-mail, nothing herein should be construed as a digital or electronic signature. Unauthorized interception of this e-mail is a criminal violation of Federal Law.  Opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of those who hold other opinions.

                        • radu nastase
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 22, 2013
                            But the issue is the ability to work the bees not their genetics.
                            What would one do if the genetics are africanised but the bees are calm and easy to work with?
                            How about if the genetic tests shows no African trace and the bees are very aggressive?
                            I give 3 chances to an aggressive hive.
                            First time he shows aggressive could be me, or some animal at night upsetting the hive or some robbing in the area.
                            Second time that hive gets marked.
                            If the third visit it acts the same then plans are made.
                            Less then 3% I find to be a real problem.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 22, 2013
                              Andrei,

                              Very good idea. ...and I will pass it on to my friend. In the meantime, if he wants to split the hives...where can he get two new queens for re-queening if he decides to go that route? How long does a new queen take en route too I guess is another good question...his escrow closes by the 10th of August so he may have to take the current hive to his new place in the OC and then do the split.

                              Thanks again for your thoughts.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 22, 2013
                                Splits work very good if they are done at the time of the move since the bees are on new grounds.