bee problem and removal

  • firecatwolf
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 18, 2013
      Hi,
      My name is Sylvia and there is a beeswarm in the wall of my mothers garage, My father wants to kill them, I want them removed humanely and if i have the ability keepthem. I have called to see how much it costs to remove them and I cannot afford the prices. Is anyone here available to remove them and keep them, or teach me to keep them?
      Thank you.
    • Brian K Barnes
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 18, 2013
        What city are they in?

        Brian

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Mar 18, 2013, at 21:09, "firecatwolf" <firecatwolf@...> wrote:

        Hi,
        My name is Sylvia and there is a beeswarm in the wall of my mothers garage, My father wants to kill them, I want them removed humanely and if i have the ability keepthem. I have called to see how much it costs to remove them and I cannot afford the prices. Is anyone here available to remove them and keep them, or teach me to keep them?
        Thank you.

      • David
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 19, 2013
          Hi Sylvia, There is a group that does removals for cost of fuel milage in Southern California. Call this number & leave your phone number & city & the particulars of your & bees situation -BEE RESCUE HOTLINE: (213) 373-1104 - http://www.backwardsbeekeepers.com/2010/02/bee-rescue-hotline.html. Also if you have pictures that can be helpful.

          Cheers, David Sneiders
          toroichiban86@...

          --- In BKASC@yahoogroups.com, "firecatwolf" <firecatwolf@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > My name is Sylvia and there is a beeswarm in the wall of my mothers garage, My father wants to kill them, I want them removed humanely and if i have the ability keepthem. I have called to see how much it costs to remove them and I cannot afford the prices. Is anyone here available to remove them and keep them, or teach me to keep them?
          > Thank you.

        • Adriana
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 20, 2013
            Thanks for the info, unfortunately the bees are in the wall and the answering machine says they can't help :'(

            David <toroichiban86@...> wrote:

            >Hi Sylvia, There is a group that does removals for cost of fuel milage in Southern California. Call this number & leave your phone number & city & the particulars of your & bees situation -BEE RESCUE HOTLINE: (213) 373-1104 - http://www.backwardsbeekeepers.com/2010/02/bee-rescue-hotline.html. Also if you have pictures that can be helpful.
            >
            >Cheers, David Sneiders
            >toroichiban86@...
            >
            >--- In BKASC@yahoogroups.com, "firecatwolf" <firecatwolf@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hi,
            >> My name is Sylvia and there is a beeswarm in the wall of my mothers garage, My father wants to kill them, I want them removed humanely and if i have the ability keepthem. I have called to see how much it costs to remove them and I cannot afford the prices. Is anyone here available to remove them and keep them, or teach me to keep them?
            >> Thank you.

          • Keith Olesh
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 21, 2013
              Adriana,

              This is Keith and I'm a member of the beekeeper's group. I am also a pest control operator and MAY be able to help. Please let me know a little bit more about the bee situation such as how long they've been in the wall, entrance point(s) and what city you are located in. Email me directly at assertivepest@....

              Keith

              David <toroichiban86@...> wrote:

              >Hi Sylvia, There is a group that does removals for cost of fuel milage in Southern California. Call this number & leave your phone number & city & the particulars of your & bees situation -BEE RESCUE HOTLINE: (213) 373-1104 - http://www.backwardsbeekeepers.com/2010/02/bee-rescue-hotline.html. Also if you have pictures that can be helpful.
              >
              >Cheers, David Sneiders
              >toroichiban86@...
              >
              >--- In BKASC@yahoogroups.com, "firecatwolf" <firecatwolf@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Hi,
              >> My name is Sylvia and there is a beeswarm in the wall of my mothers garage, My father wants to kill them, I want them removed humanely and if i have the ability keepthem. I have called to see how much it costs to remove them and I cannot afford the prices. Is anyone here available to remove them and keep them, or teach me to keep them?
              >> Thank you.

            • David
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 23, 2013
                Did you get someone to help you Adriana? Where is your general location, city, county, state? This sounds like a cut out or trap out & bees can be saved to live another day. Hope you didn't have to go with a PCO who will most likely destroy the bees.

                Cheers, David

                --- In BKASC@yahoogroups.com, Adriana <firecatwolf@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for the info, unfortunately the bees are in the wall and the answering machine says they can't help :'(
                >
                > T-Mobile. America's First Nationwide 4G Network
                >
                > David <toroichiban86@...> wrote:
                >
                > >Hi Sylvia, There is a group that does removals for cost of fuel milage in Southern California. Call this number & leave your phone number & city & the particulars of your & bees situation -BEE RESCUE HOTLINE: (213) 373-1104 - http://www.backwardsbeekeepers.com/2010/02/bee-rescue-hotline.html. Also if you have pictures that can be helpful.
                > >
                > >Cheers, David Sneiders
                > >toroichiban86@...
                > >
                > >--- In BKASC@yahoogroups.com, "firecatwolf" <firecatwolf@> wrote:
                > >>
                > >> Hi,
                > >> My name is Sylvia and there is a beeswarm in the wall of my mothers garage, My father wants to kill them, I want them removed humanely and if i have the ability keepthem. I have called to see how much it costs to remove them and I cannot afford the prices. Is anyone here available to remove them and keep them, or teach me to keep them?
                > >> Thank you.

              • Adriana
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 25, 2013
                  No, I called the voluntary beekeepers who remove bees, they don't remove bees from walls. My aunt suggested smoking them out. I'm in california. The bees are in san bernardino. My father had set poison on them 3 months ago. I did not know this. Regardless of the poison they are still there. I do not know what to do. I am literally at my wits end. My father won't pay for their removal, neither my mother or I can afford to pay for humane removal by the big companies. I was so estatic about the bee volunteer group, until I heard the voicemail that said they can't remove them from walls. An was devasted when my dad said he put poison down 3 months ago. I can barely afford groceries let alone bee reemoval, otherwiwse I would've done it last year. Thank you all for your suggestions. My father is a handyman so he will kill them and just redo the wall. At least that is the current plan.
                  Thanks again for your help
                  Sylvia Adriana

                  David <toroichiban86@...> wrote:

                  >Did you get someone to help you Adriana? Where is your general location, city, county, state? This sounds like a cut out or trap out & bees can be saved to live another day. Hope you didn't have to go with a PCO who will most likely destroy the bees.
                  >
                  >Cheers, David
                  >
                  >--- In BKASC@yahoogroups.com, Adriana <firecatwolf@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Thanks for the info, unfortunately the bees are in the wall and the answering machine says they can't help :'(
                  >>
                  >> T-Mobile. America's First Nationwide 4G Network
                  >>
                  >> David <toroichiban86@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> >Hi Sylvia, There is a group that does removals for cost of fuel milage in Southern California. Call this number & leave your phone number & city & the particulars of your & bees situation -BEE RESCUE HOTLINE: (213) 373-1104 - http://www.backwardsbeekeepers.com/2010/02/bee-rescue-hotline.html. Also if you have pictures that can be helpful.
                  >> >
                  >> >Cheers, David Sneiders
                  >> >toroichiban86@...

                • Dave fakename
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 25, 2013

                    City, or county?

                    Dave

                    To: BKASC@yahoogroups.com
                    From: firecatwolf@...
                    Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 12:15:22 -0700

                    David <toroichiban86@...> wrote:

                    >Did you get someone to help you Adriana? Where is your general location, city, county, state? This sounds like a cut out or trap out & bees can be saved to live another day. Hope you didn't have to go with a PCO who will most likely destroy the bees.
                    >
                    >Cheers, David
                    >
                    >--- In BKASC@yahoogroups.com, Adriana <firecatwolf@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Thanks for the info, unfortunately the bees are in the wall and the answering machine says they can't help :'(
                    >>
                    >> T-Mobile. America's First Nationwide 4G Network
                    >>
                    >> David <toroichiban86@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> >Hi Sylvia, There is a group that does removals for cost of fuel milage in Southern California. Call this number & leave your phone number & city & the particulars of your & bees situation -BEE RESCUE HOTLINE: (213) 373-1104 - http://www.backwardsbeekeepers.com/2010/02/bee-rescue-hotline.html. Also if you have pictures that can be helpful.
                    >> >
                    >> >Cheers, David Sneiders
                    >> >toroichiban86@...

                  • Adriana
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 25, 2013
                      City. North east of where the 91 & 215 meet.

                      Sylvia Adriana

                      Dave fakename <davee01@...> wrote:

                      >City, or county?
                      >
                      >Dave
                      >
                      >To: BKASC@yahoogroups.com
                      >From: firecatwolf@...
                      >Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 12:15:22 -0700
                      >Subject: Re: [BASC] Re: bee problem and removal

                      > No, I called the voluntary beekeepers who remove bees, they don't remove bees from walls. My aunt suggested smoking them out. I'm in california. The bees are in san bernardino. My father had set poison on them 3 months ago. I did not know this. Regardless of the poison they are still there. I do not know what to do. I am literally at my wits end. My father won't pay for their removal, neither my mother or I can afford to pay for humane removal by the big companies. I was so estatic about the bee volunteer group, until I heard the voicemail that said they can't remove them from walls. An was devasted when my dad said he put poison down 3 months ago. I can barely afford groceries let alone bee reemoval, otherwiwse I would've done it last year. Thank you all for your suggestions. My father is a handyman so he will kill them and just redo the wall. At least that is the current plan.
                      >
                      >Thanks again for your help
                      >
                      >Sylvia Adriana
                      >

                      >T-Mobile. America's First Nationwide 4G Network
                      >

                      >David <toroichiban86@...> wrote:
                      >

                      >>Did you get someone to help you Adriana? Where is your general location, city, county, state? This sounds like a cut out or trap out & bees can be saved to live another day. Hope you didn't have to go with a PCO who will most likely destroy the bees.
                      >

                      >>Cheers, David
                      >

                      >>--- In BKASC@yahoogroups.com, Adriana <firecatwolf@...> wrote:
                      >

                      >>> Thanks for the info, unfortunately the bees are in the wall and the answering machine says they can't help :'(
                      >

                      >>> T-Mobile. America's First Nationwide 4G Network

                    • vagts
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 25, 2013
                        Well, your father has seriously damaged the bees by trying to poison them. Most beekeepers dont want to waste their time on bees that have been poisoned. Additionally, to get at the bees for a rescue, you have to remove possibly several sections of wall which will need repairing and that costs money. Most rescuers are not construction people who are skilled at repairing walls, so your father would have to find someone who does free wall repairs.

                        Having a handyman try to poison bees in a wall is usually not effective, the poisons needed must be very high potency to kill all of the bees in the wall (the Queen is skilled at evading intrusion) and that takes a license (to purchase and to apply) which only pest control companies have. I am not surprised your father failed at killing the bees and since he does not want to spend any money, you will probably have bees for quite some time.

                        I have rescued dozens of hives and have learned that bee rescuing is an art and that bees can be unpredictable -- perhaps your father can ewventually kill the bees with Home Depot poisons, he has little to lose since the bees are now contaminated. I suspect that eventually you will have to save up for a pest control company to come out. It would only be a couple of hundred dollars and would be done in just a few minutes. Bee rescuing takes hours, not minutes, to get the bees into a hive and it has to be done before/after the bees are foraging. It is a lot of work. Most of us have to charge because the hives cost money and while we donate our time, we can afford to rescue only so many out of our pocket. You cant rescue a hive and put them in a shoebox!

                        Note that even dog rescue groups (I belong to one) have to charge for dog adoptions -- it is not cheap to have the poor animal neutered, medicated, and cared for before they are adopted. Saving bees is much cheaper.

                        Good luck with your problem,

                            Arnold

                        Hobbyist beekeeper
                        Anaheim, CA USA

                        David <toroichiban86@...> wrote:

                        >Did you get someone to help you Adriana? Where is your general location, city, county, state? This sounds like a cut out or trap out & bees can be saved to live another day. Hope you didn't have to go with a PCO who will most likely destroy the bees.
                        >
                        >Cheers, David
                        >
                        >--- In BKASC@yahoogroups.com, Adriana <firecatwolf@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Thanks for the info, unfortunately the bees are in the wall and the answering machine says they can't help :'(
                        >>
                        >> T-Mobile. America's First Nationwide 4G Network
                        >>
                        >> David <toroichiban86@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> >Hi Sylvia, There is a group that does removals for cost of fuel milage in Southern California. Call this number & leave your phone number & city & the particulars of your & bees situation -BEE RESCUE HOTLINE: (213) 373-1104 - http://www.backwardsbeekeepers.com/2010/02/bee-rescue-hotline.html. Also if you have pictures that can be helpful.
                        >> >
                        >> >Cheers, David Sneiders
                        >> >toroichiban86@...

                      • radu nastase
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 25, 2013
                          Drop some mothballs into the wall and the bees will come out.
                          Then fill the wall with dry sand with a funnel.

                          <toroichiban86@...> wrote:

                          >> >Hi Sylvia, There is a group that does removals for cost of fuel milage in Southern California. Call this number & leave your phone number & city & the particulars of your & bees situation -BEE RESCUE HOTLINE: (213) 373-1104 - http://www.backwardsbeekeepers.com/2010/02/bee-rescue-hotline.html. Also if you have pictures that can be helpful.
                          >> >
                          >> >Cheers, David Sneiders
                          >> >toroichiban86@...

                          keepthem. I have called to see how much it costs to remove them and I cannot afford the prices. Is anyone here available to remove them and keep them, or teach me to keep them?

                        • dirtyschizno
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013
                            Thanks Arnold, well put. I might plagiarize sections of this to forward to others in similar predicaments.

                            Adriana, as someone who does removals for Backwards Beekeepers from time to time, we do sometimes do wall removals, but they require such an investment in time and resources for most rescuers that the message board instructs people to find a professional such as myself to do a paid removal, rather than flood the rescue board with calls for expensive rescue jobs. Most people simply do t have the time and money to invest in someone else's problem, and it has everything to do with economics. Now that your bees are sprayed you have a more complicated situation on your hands.

                            Tyson

                            --- In BKASC@yahoogroups.com, vagts <avagts@...> wrote:

                            > Well, your father has seriously damaged the bees by trying to poison them.
                            > Most beekeepers dont want to waste their time on bees that have been
                            > poisoned. Additionally, to get at the bees for a rescue, you have to remove
                            > possibly several sections of wall which will need repairing and that costs
                            > money. Most rescuers are not construction people who are skilled at
                            > repairing walls, so your father would have to find someone who does free
                            > wall repairs.
                            >
                            > Having a handyman try to poison bees in a wall is usually not effective,
                            > the poisons needed must be very high potency to kill all of the bees in the
                            > wall (the Queen is skilled at evading intrusion) and that takes a license
                            > (to purchase and to apply) which only pest control companies have. I am not
                            > surprised your father failed at killing the bees and since he does not want
                            > to spend any money, you will probably have bees for quite some time.
                            >
                            > I have rescued dozens of hives and have learned that bee rescuing is an art
                            > and that bees can be unpredictable -- perhaps your father can ewventually
                            > kill the bees with Home Depot poisons, he has little to lose since the bees
                            > are now contaminated. I suspect that eventually you will have to save up
                            > for a pest control company to come out. It would only be a couple of
                            > hundred dollars and would be done in just a few minutes. Bee rescuing takes
                            > hours, not minutes, to get the bees into a hive and it has to be done
                            > before/after the bees are foraging. It is a lot of work. Most of us have to
                            > charge because the hives cost money and while we donate our time, we can
                            > afford to rescue only so many out of our pocket. You cant rescue a hive and
                            > put them in a shoebox!
                            >
                            > Note that even dog rescue groups (I belong to one) have to charge for dog
                            > adoptions -- it is not cheap to have the poor animal neutered, medicated,
                            > and cared for before they are adopted. Saving bees is much cheaper.
                            >
                            > Good luck with your problem,
                            >

                            > Arnold
                            >
                            > Hobbyist beekeeper
                            > Anaheim, CA USA

                          • Adriana
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 26, 2013
                              I do not live with either of my parents. I was not aware my father had poisoned them or that my mother had allowed it. I was furious when I found out. Like I said before my father can fix the wall after the removal, but he'd rather kill them. That is why I asked for help. Since I live 60 miles away and am carless I cannot help my mom take care of the bees. Once again, I appreciate your help. I would not have asked for help if I had known beforehand that my father had poisoned them, I was even willing to learn beekeeping myself if it would stop my father's idea of destroying them. Of course that in itself would be a difficult task and I would have had to sew some sort of outfit to prevent stinging and had to repurpose a box for beekeeping and find a way for the dog to stay out of the way... I apologize for troubling you all with my bee problem. Thanks again for your helpful advise. I already feel guilty and miserable for allowing them to be poisoned and even worse everytime I get an email about the importance of bees. I know how important they are. I am sorry I do not have the resources to fix this myself. I am sorry again for ever mentioning my problem and asking for help.

                              S.A.

                              dirtyschizno <saltysea@...> wrote:

                              >Thanks Arnold, well put. I might plagiarize sections of this to forward to others in similar predicaments.
                              >
                              >Adriana, as someone who does removals for Backwards Beekeepers from time to time, we do sometimes do wall removals, but they require such an investment in time and resources for most rescuers that the message board instructs people to find a professional such as myself to do a paid removal, rather than flood the rescue board with calls for expensive rescue jobs. Most people simply do t have the time and money to invest in someone else's problem, and it has everything to do with economics. Now that your bees are sprayed you have a more complicated situation on your hands.
                              >
                              >Tyson
                              >
                              >--- In BKASC@yahoogroups.com, vagts <avagts@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> Well, your father has seriously damaged the bees by trying to poison them.
                              >> Most beekeepers dont want to waste their time on bees that have been
                              >> poisoned. Additionally, to get at the bees for a rescue, you have to remove
                              >> possibly several sections of wall which will need repairing and that costs
                              >> money. Most rescuers are not construction people who are skilled at
                              >> repairing walls, so your father would have to find someone who does free
                              >> wall repairs.
                              >>
                              >> Having a handyman try to poison bees in a wall is usually not effective,
                              >> the poisons needed must be very high potency to kill all of the bees in the
                              >> wall (the Queen is skilled at evading intrusion) and that takes a license
                              >> (to purchase and to apply) which only pest control companies have. I am not
                              >> surprised your father failed at killing the bees and since he does not want
                              >> to spend any money, you will probably have bees for quite some time.
                              >>
                              >> I have rescued dozens of hives and have learned that bee rescuing is an art
                              >> and that bees can be unpredictable -- perhaps your father can ewventually
                              >> kill the bees with Home Depot poisons, he has little to lose since the bees
                              >> are now contaminated. I suspect that eventually you will have to save up
                              >> for a pest control company to come out. It would only be a couple of
                              >> hundred dollars and would be done in just a few minutes. Bee rescuing takes
                              >> hours, not minutes, to get the bees into a hive and it has to be done
                              >> before/after the bees are foraging. It is a lot of work. Most of us have to
                              >> charge because the hives cost money and while we donate our time, we can
                              >> afford to rescue only so many out of our pocket. You cant rescue a hive and
                              >> put them in a shoebox!
                              >>
                              >> Note that even dog rescue groups (I belong to one) have to charge for dog
                              >> adoptions -- it is not cheap to have the poor animal neutered, medicated,
                              >> and cared for before they are adopted. Saving bees is much cheaper.
                              >>
                              >> Good luck with your problem,
                              >>

                              >> Arnold
                              >>
                              >> Hobbyist beekeeper
                              >> Anaheim, CA USA

                            • brad_baier
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 28, 2013
                                Sylvia,

                                You should not feel bad or feel the need to apologize for attempting to do the right thing.

                                It takes courage to stand up to your Father and try and change his way of thinking and I commend you for your efforts to seek assistance and knowledge regarding rescuing and saving the bees rather than eradicating them.

                                Perhaps you will have the good fortune in the future to collect some bees and to keep them for the benefit of everyone.

                                Thank you for your efforts,

                                Brad