1356Minutes

  • Rich
    Feb 27, 2014
    BEEKEEPERS ASSOCIATION OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA (BASC)

    Robin Theron, President (714) 557-3797
    Richard Heryford, Vice Pres (949) 458-6532
    Linda Sun Kilfeather, Sec. (951) 676-6917
    Doug Fieri, Treasurer (909) 967-6761
    e-mail: barebeeshoney@...
    Web site: www.bascbees.org <www(dot)bascbees(dot)org>
    Mail: 142 E. Bonita # 110, San Dimas 91773
    Secretary’s e-mail: sunfeathers1@...

    GENERAL MEETING January 23, 2014

    MEETINGS: 6:30 PM on the Fourth Thursday, except Thanksgiving and Christmas, of
    course, at the City of La Mirada Community Resource Center located at
    13710 La Mirada Blvd., La Mirada CA 90638

    CALL TO ORDER
    Our meeting was called to order at 6:52 PM by our President, Robin Theron. 47 people were present, 29 of whom were present. With 20 members present in September, 27 members present in October and 29 members today, the quorum for the February meeting will be 14 members (50% of the average attendance during the last 3 months, plus one.)

    Visitors and new members introduced themselves:
    Cathy and Michael Anderson were members a few years ago and are still in bees.

    Barbie Carlsen from Hemet said that all of this is very new to her and she wants to sponge up bee knowledge.

    Irma Rosario from Fontana wants to become a beekeeper.

    Sarah Letts-Smith of Murrieta has two colonies. Her dad was a beekeeper. She has just retired from the army and this is what she is going to do in her retirement.

    Doug Fieri gave the Treasurer's Report: After 6 or 7 years as Treasurer the club is doing well. $15,615.68 is the current gross assets. The income from the Los Angeles County Fair was about
    $5500.00 and we tend to spend about $5500.00 per year. During our last quarter we spent $1987.22 on the holiday dinner and speaker. Christine Wall spoke. We partly subsidized the workers at the Fair at about $800.00 for dinner. As of this morning we had one paid member. Dues are $20.00 for a couple or family and $12.00 for one person. No dues will be collected for 2014 for those who worked the Fair in 2013. No additional donations were made recently, but I would like to get rid of some of our money. We are a non-profit agricultural group and I want us to give about $6,000.00 to different bee research groups, the UC Davis, Laidlaw; send us a prospectus on the Rachel Foundation. Randy Oliver has done great work with our donations and has written his thanks. CSBA (the California State Beekeepers Assn) gives about $60,000.00 to $70,000.00 each year and our small donations help. Information filters down to us and it all helps.

    Sean Crowley: CSBA has done great stuff this year.

    Doug: And apis M has been great too. I will send you spread sheets for the club income and outgo and any actual financial documents to anyone who asks. We spend about $6,000.00 per year, so we could spend an extra $8,000.00 to $9,000.00. We will probably get additional income from the Fair this year.

    Fred Hesper: How come so much was given as a donation?

    Doug: Last year the club voted on bee research donations. I think we should give away all our income and we have been carrying $15,000.00 per year since I was first Treasurer

    Fred Hesper made a motion for $10,000.00. The motion was not seconded and died.

    Henry Kurland made a motion to accept the Treasurer’s Report; the motion was seconded by Sean Crowley and carried.

    Question: Can we submit a bee research idea?
    Answer: Yes.

    Doug Fieri made a motion that we create a committee as to how to move money into funding research; Kevin Heydman seconded the motion and it carried.
    (Sam Bonderov, Kevin Heydman, Sean Crowley, Robin Theron, Carl Reis and Rachel Cornejo will be on the committee.)

    Secretary’s Report: The Secretary sent the minutes for October (which included a list of dependable bee plants that bloom in the starvation months) to all members by email, except for 5 members whose minutes were sent by postal mail.

    Sean: Our website is a Trojan Horse and I was kicked off the web site.

    Robin Theron: Maybe your virus protection is not up to par.

    Kevin Heydman made a motion to accept the minutes as written; the motion was seconded by Sean Crowley and carried (with a pending correction by Dick Dyer.)

    Dick Dyer: The mistake is at the bottom of page 4 as to “re-queening” where it should say “requeening”.

    Robin: Richard Heryford will tell us about the speaker for February.

    Richard: Our February speaker will be Dr. Peter Loring Borst. His first job, he worked as a beekeeper’s helper since 1974 at a store in the San Bernardino area. He is now the senior apiarist at Cornell University and is the Apiary Inspector for the State of New York. He is the Vice President of Finger Lakes Bee Club and is a writer on the history and breeding of honey bees. He will give a pollination presentation and will talk on whatever subject we want. His email is <peterborst.com>.

    Robin: Lots of people want to become beekeepers, but there is little opportunity to handle and see bees and it is a good idea to get a list of people who would let people enjoy the experience of working with bees. Let me know if you want to be on that list.

    Dick Dyer: It could be a list of mentors and there could be a list of those to be menteed.

    Robin: We should not saddle volunteer mentors with too much.

    Dick: Every year I put on a beekeeping seminar, not a formal class, three times in the spring at the Hathaway Ranch Museum [located at 11901 E. Florence Avenue, Santa Fe Springs 90670-4494].
    You can handle bees there. Bring a veil or full bee suit and gloves.

    Question: When can you send out dates? (The Secretary can send us the dates.)

    Dick: Bring this up at the next meeting.

    Sean: At the Orange County Beekeepers the meetings are held at the OC Fairgrounds. They are starting lectures and demonstrations at a Boy Scout camp and you can see bees and come to meetings on the first Tuesday of every month at 6:30 PM.

    Robin: Last year we had no T-shirts at the Fair. It would be nice to have a club shirt to use throughout the year. We will work on that and finally get our logo done. Any ideas?

    Henry: Recently I saw our current BASC logo available already on a T-shirt, but it was pricey.

    Some notes from the slide show by Robin Theron on Keeping Our Bees Alive:

    Mites make a good living on our bees. Ticknor Edwards quote from 1920 is Randy Oliver’s favorite.
    A fifth day larva stands up and gets capped inside the cell and the cocoon begins.
    A Varroa mite arrives on a bee and goes into a cell in the hive. It lies on its back in the bee food and has a snorkel, then it starts feeding on a larva and the wound never heals. It lays 6 eggs, 1 male and 5 females. The female mite is huge.
    There is a high mite count. When a bee dies, the mite does not die. When the colony dies the robbers get the mites and take them along to the new colony. Mites travel on the Sexton beetle, but don’t feed on it. The word “phoretic” is from the Greek and means to carry or to bear or living on it.

    The mite lays an unfertilized egg to get a male (just like bees). The mites prefer at attach to the nurse bees because they have the best food.
    A Protonymph is the first stage and deutonymph is the secondary stage and it must change color. It takes 6 days for each mite egg to hatch. An egg-laying mite mom prefers drones because there is enough time for her to get two daughters instead of only one; (longer incubation time for drones.)

    Both bees and mites build up at the beginning of each year and as the bees emerge the mites come out too. If you put in a queen cell eggs are not produced, so the mites decrease. As the bee numbers start coming down, the number of mites (in proportion) skyrockets and the mites overwhelm the bees. From August to November it is very important to get rid of the mites.

    First we must check if there are mites. Use ½ cup of bees in a tester and divide the mite number by 3.
    Over 5% is dangerous and we must treat then or our bees will die. Kill the bees with alcohol for testing. If you use powdered sugar to coat the bees, the accuracy of the mite count goes down.

    Then check for Nosema with 50 bees and a microscope. Nosema is egg-shaped. It harpoons its genetic matter into bee tissue, then becomes a spore and keeps going.
    To kill mites you can use Apiguard, which is a thymol gel. Mite Away Quick Strips are formic acid, oxalic acid. Use distilled water with oxalic acid. You can read all this on Randy’s site: <scientificbeekeeping.com>
    Mites are vectors for disease. They compromise a bee’s immune system. If you see Crippled Wing Virus (bees on the ground circling) you know you have a serious problem.
    We will do a workshop tonight to count mites. Eleven people here have checked for mites. We will shake them up so you can see how to do the job. Thanks to Starbucks we have two testers (clear plastic cups). You put the bees into the sealed cup with its bottom cut off and replaced by a screen. Put this into another cup and shake it and swirl it. Or you can use 2 lids with the tops cut out and a screen in between. Use alcohol in between the two closed cups. Preferably take bees from a broad area. If a bee flies away you know it is an older bee. If it just crawls around it is a younger bee (which is not accustomed to flying). Count the number of mites in the alcohol (mites are big and easy to see).
    Break. Meeting resumed at 8:35 PM.

    Question: I go to my hive and 5 bees are one inch above the ground, flying well and only go 8 feet.

    Answer: They could be defecating or could be getting their bearings. They might smell something interesting (they have fantastic smell talents). Propolis may smell like…..

    Question: How close should the water source be to the hive?

    Answer: Further than 10 feet, 20 feet is better, or across the yard.

    The raffle was held. Meeting adjourned at 8:48 PM. The next meeting will be at 6:30 PM on
    February 27, 2014.

    Respectfully submitted, Linda Kilfeather, Secretary