Manx Shearwater

  • Paul Scofield
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2003
      For Alan Tennyson at Te Papa:

      It seems that we have NZ's third Manx Shearwater in our {Te Papas} it has
      been kicking around in a few different places and arrived at Te Papa's
      storage building at an unknown date. It has yet to be fully examined or
      prepared. I was rather surprised to 'find it' recently while looking at
      other material. Fortunately it has good collection details. It was found
      on 12 July 2002 on Otaki Beach by Ewold Horn. Ewold is a taxidermist and
      was visiting from the Netherlands. He thought that it might be a
      shearwater. He reported that he had seen "hundreds of dead shearwaters" [no
      doubt the prion wreck] on the beach at the time but only one like this. It
      seems somewhat miraculous that this individual, in perfect condition, made
      its way to us. I wonder if other Manxs were misidentified by beach
      patrollers at the time. For example, I was interested to see that amongst
      2260 birds found by OSNZ on Muriwai Beach on 6 July 2002, there were three
      "Hutton's" Shearwaters (Southern Bird 11: 9). As this is a most unusual
      time to find Hutton's on a NZ beach, it would be interesting to know how
      these were identified. I doubt that they were retained - anyone keen on an
      exhumation?

      cheers
      Alan Tennyson