Chat example problem

  • mastro_it2002
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 2, 2006
      I studied deeply the code posted to do socket comunication like web
      server and other comunication.

      Now I would like to develop a chat like application but I can't solve
      the problem of bcx_accept_socket waiting for incoming connections.

      Should one use 2.0 version of Win socket to avoid this complication?
      Are there any working examples?

      Moreover I found out I cannot compile the socket examples vith Pelles'
      C comipler?

      Could a winsock application comunicate with one linux application?

      Any help will be very appraciated!
      Thank you!

      mastro
    • Csöndes, László
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 2, 2006
        What I do with accept (I don't know nor use the bcx_accept_socket function),
        is that at the point of accepting,
        I use BCX_THREAD to call a function, which is a loop, like this:

        MAIN PROGRAM/SUB
        ' point where you need accepting
        bcx_thread(acceptstuff)
        end

        sub acceptstuff()
        do
        'do what Microsoft says on msdn.com
        'when socket is accepted, call foo()
        loop
        end sub

        sub foo()
        'continuation of main program,
        'when chatting, I usually call another
        'thread, which reads data in a do...loop
        end sub

        In my opinion, a Linux app can communicate with a Windows app, what i know
        is
        that sockets are basically an approach to networking in a MS way.

        Hope this helps,

        László Csöndes

        I studied deeply the code posted to do socket comunication like web
        server and other comunication.

        Now I would like to develop a chat like application but I can't solve
        the problem of bcx_accept_socket waiting for incoming connections.

        Should one use 2.0 version of Win socket to avoid this complication?
        Are there any working examples?

        Moreover I found out I cannot compile the socket examples vith Pelles'
        C comipler?

        Could a winsock application comunicate with one linux application?

        Any help will be very appraciated!
        Thank you!

        mastro

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • mastro_it2002
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 2, 2006
          --- In BCX@yahoogroups.com, Csöndes, László <aceman2000@...> wrote:

          > What I do with accept (I don't know nor use the bcx_accept_socket
          function),
          > is that at the point of accepting,
          > I use BCX_THREAD to call a function, which is a loop, like this:
          >
          > MAIN PROGRAM/SUB
          > ' point where you need accepting
          > bcx_thread(acceptstuff)
          > end
          >
          > sub acceptstuff()
          > do
          > 'do what Microsoft says on msdn.com
          > 'when socket is accepted, call foo()
          > loop
          > end sub
          >
          > sub foo()
          > 'continuation of main program,
          > 'when chatting, I usually call another
          > 'thread, which reads data in a do...loop
          > end sub
          >
          > In my opinion, a Linux app can communicate with a Windows app,
          what i know
          > is
          > that sockets are basically an approach to networking in a MS way.
          >
          > Hope this helps,
          >
          > László Csöndes

          Thank you! It helps.
          After you explanation I woonder if I should have two threads one to
          perfrorm incoming connection, the other to dispatch messages to
          connections.

          Could me advise on the way to start a new connection with socket
          basic routines?

          Thank you twice!
          mastro
        • Csöndes, László
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
            Here is the link I "copied" for my first:

            http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winsock/win
            sock/creating_a_basic_winsock_application.asp

            Because we are (I am for sure :) using GUI, I needed to place the accepting
            part in a thread, just like I mentioned.
            And, because we want to transfer data more than once, I needed to put the
            receiving part in a loop, and put that
            into a thread. This way, the application won't stop responding, and you can
            handle events. (What I did for a chat
            program: when the loop gets a message, it calls a (non-thread) sub, which
            places the received string to the
            end if an editbox. When that sub returns, the receiving loop continues.)

            Hope it helps,

            László Csöndes

            > What I do with accept (I don't know nor use the bcx_accept_socket
            function),
            > is that at the point of accepting,
            > I use BCX_THREAD to call a function, which is a loop, like this:
            >
            > MAIN PROGRAM/SUB
            > ' point where you need accepting
            > bcx_thread(acceptstuff)
            > end
            >
            > sub acceptstuff()
            > do
            > 'do what Microsoft says on msdn.com
            > 'when socket is accepted, call foo()
            > loop
            > end sub
            >
            > sub foo()
            > 'continuation of main program,
            > 'when chatting, I usually call another
            > 'thread, which reads data in a do...loop
            > end sub
            >
            > In my opinion, a Linux app can communicate with a Windows app,
            what i know
            > is
            > that sockets are basically an approach to networking in a MS way.
            >
            > Hope this helps,
            >
            > László Csöndes

            Thank you! It helps.
            After you explanation I woonder if I should have two threads one to
            perfrorm incoming connection, the other to dispatch messages to
            connections.

            Could me advise on the way to start a new connection with socket
            basic routines?

            Thank you twice!
            mastro

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • David Garner
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
              Hello,

              I'm trying to access the BCX CVS repository.

              I know I recently saw notification from SourceForge about changes, but of
              course, I can't find them today.

              I'm assuming the BCX SourceForge configuration page has not been update to
              reflect the recent changes - since it appears to match the configuration on
              my machine.

              Anyone have the magic and anyone else able to update the SourceForge web
              site?

              Thanks.

              David Garner
            • David Garner
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
                Update:

                Ok, I found the info on the SourceForge site.

                Old:
                :pserver:anonymous@...:/cvsroot/bcx-basic

                New:
                :pserver:anonymous@...:/cvsroot/bcx-basic

                Is the CVS no longer being maintained?

                I just got a new copy of the files and Bc.bas is dated 11/13/05.

                David Garner

              • John Jacques
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006

                  Thought since I never heard of it, maybe someone else would find this useful:

                  http://subversion.tigris.org/

                  John

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                • sanyaade
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
                    Is the CVS no longer being maintained?

                    REPLY => they are changing to SVN Subversion which is lesss hasle than CVS

                    God blesses!!!

                    Best regards,
                    Sanyaade

                    Ok, I found the info on the SourceForge site.

                    Old:
                    :pserver:anonymous@...:/cvsroot/bcx-basic

                    New:
                    :pserver:anonymous@...:/cvsroot/bcx-basic

                    Is the CVS no longer being maintained?

                    I just got a new copy of the files and Bc.bas is dated 11/13/05.

                    David Garner

                  • David Garner
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
                      SourceForge is still providing CVS servers as well as the new Subversion
                      servers.

                      I'm familiar with Subversion.

                      Use it all the time with TortoiseSVN and really like it.

                      I'm hoping to get around to setting it up on my home network.

                      I've been using Source Safe at home and have had good luck with it, but
                      think Subversion is superior in many ways - especially for large projects in
                      remote locations.

                      I'm just wondering about the state of BCX and version control.

                      Has it been found to be more trouble than it's worth?

                      I really like the idea of a publicly accessible repository for open source
                      projects. It provides the mechanism for team coding. I guess we're not
                      seeing much of that in the BCX world at the moment, but I'd sure like to
                      know that we're set up for it incase the spirit so moves.

                      David Garner
                    • mikehg_67
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 6, 2006
                        --- In BCX@yahoogroups.com, "David Garner" <dgarner@...> wrote:

                        > SourceForge is still providing CVS servers as well as the new Subversion
                        > servers.
                        >
                        > I'm familiar with Subversion.
                        >
                        > Use it all the time with TortoiseSVN and really like it.
                        >
                        > I'm hoping to get around to setting it up on my home network.
                        >
                        > I've been using Source Safe at home and have had good luck with it, but
                        > think Subversion is superior in many ways - especially for large
                        projects in
                        > remote locations.
                        >
                        > I'm just wondering about the state of BCX and version control.
                        >
                        > Has it been found to be more trouble than it's worth?
                        >
                        > I really like the idea of a publicly accessible repository for open
                        source
                        > projects. It provides the mechanism for team coding. I guess we're not
                        > seeing much of that in the BCX world at the moment, but I'd sure like to
                        > know that we're set up for it incase the spirit so moves.
                        >
                        > David Garner

                        Hi David,

                        The last few times I tried sending an update it would end with an
                        error of some sort. I don't recall the exact error. I'll try
                        reinstalling my cvs software and see if that helps. I like the idea of
                        the cvs system but I must say it's been a bit of a pain :)

                        Mike H.
                      • Ryan Pusztai
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 6, 2006
                          --- In BCX@yahoogroups.com, "mikehg_67" <mikehg_67@...> wrote:

                          > --- In BCX@yahoogroups.com, "David Garner" <dgarner@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > SourceForge is still providing CVS servers as well as the new
                          Subversion
                          > > servers.
                          > >
                          > > I'm familiar with Subversion.
                          > >
                          > > Use it all the time with TortoiseSVN and really like it.
                          > >
                          > > I'm hoping to get around to setting it up on my home network.
                          > >
                          > > I've been using Source Safe at home and have had good luck with
                          it, but
                          > > think Subversion is superior in many ways - especially for large
                          > projects in
                          > > remote locations.
                          > >
                          > > I'm just wondering about the state of BCX and version control.
                          > >
                          > > Has it been found to be more trouble than it's worth?
                          > >
                          > > I really like the idea of a publicly accessible repository for open
                          > source
                          > > projects. It provides the mechanism for team coding. I guess
                          we're not
                          > > seeing much of that in the BCX world at the moment, but I'd sure
                          like to
                          > > know that we're set up for it incase the spirit so moves.
                          > >
                          > > David Garner
                          > >

                          > Hi David,
                          >
                          > The last few times I tried sending an update it would end with an
                          > error of some sort. I don't recall the exact error. I'll try
                          > reinstalling my cvs software and see if that helps. I like the idea of
                          > the cvs system but I must say it's been a bit of a pain :)
                          >
                          > Mike H.

                          Hi Guys,

                          It has been a while and I would suggest moving the to Subversion
                          repository. I use it daily and it is GREAT. SourceForge is focusing on
                          Subverion not CVS. They have fixed many of the problems they have with
                          the CVS repository. There are now immediate commits, in Subversion,
                          unlike in the CVS.

                          I need to update the screen shots on the website for checkouts. This
                          will help people to log into the CVS with the right settings.

                          SourceForge updated there CVS server address. So here are the latest
                          settings:
                          CVS Server: bcx-basic.cvs.sourceforge.net
                          Path to Repository: /cvsroot/bcx-basic
                          Protocol: pserver (anonymous) / ext (developer)

                          -Ryan
                          RJP Computing
                        • David Garner
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 6, 2006
                            Ryan,

                            Before you update the CVS access pages and Mike spends more time on CVS, do
                            you know what it would take to move to Subversion?

                            Thanks.

                            David Garner

                          • Ryan Pusztai
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 6, 2006
                              Well I have not done it before but what I have read it is really easy.
                              I already enable svn access. Now if it is okay with Mike and others we
                              can do it in 1 minute, but we will loose the check-in comments and
                              history. There is also the option to migrate and this would be the
                              most complete way. I am currently reading how to do this and will get
                              back to you.

                              Regards,

                              Ryan
                              RJP Computing

                            • Kevin Diggins
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 6, 2006
                                --- In BCX@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Pusztai" <bcx@...> wrote:

                                > Well I have not done it before but what I have read it is really easy.
                                > I already enable svn access. Now if it is okay with Mike and others we
                                > can do it in 1 minute, but we will loose the check-in comments and
                                > history. There is also the option to migrate and this would be the
                                > most complete way. I am currently reading how to do this and will get
                                > back to you.
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                >
                                > Ryan
                                > RJP Computing

                                So long as I can continue to download the latest version from Yahoo,
                                I'm happy as a clam. I personally think using a CVS for BCX is
                                pointless, given the fact that Mike Henning was typically the only
                                person modifying the code.

                                My 2¢
                              • Ryan Pusztai
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 6, 2006
                                  I updated the cvs repository to the latest version.

                                  Regards,
                                  Ryan
                                  RJP Computing