Townhall.com The Right Position 08/02/2006

  • P Harris
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2006

      August 02, 2006

      The Right Position
      —Terry Eastland

      As promised, George Bush vetoed legislation that would authorize funding of research on embryonic stem cells. These cells are harvested by destroying embryos created but not used in fertility clinics.

      Unfortunately, confusion has arisen as to why the veto was cast. Some have read into comments by the president's spokesman that Bush vetoed the bill because he thinks the destruction of human embryos is "murder." Of course, if the President believes that, then he ought to propose a bill outlawing this form of murder.

      The more precise way to put the president's objection is to say that the federal government shouldn't be a party to the destruction of nascent human life. It's also reasonable to see the veto in terms of federalism: That is, the federal government should leave to the states whether or not to fund something that is legal but draws strong moral objections. The Hyde Amendment is just such a federalism measure, for it leaves abortion funding to the states.

      Terry Eastland is the publisher of The Weekly Standard.

      If this commentary was forwarded to you, sign up for you own free subscription.

      Townhall.com Commentaries go past today's headlines to give you concise and penetrating insight into the most pressing challenges facing our culture today. These commentaries cover everything from politics to popular culture, from faith to international relations and family values to the progress of the war on terrorism.

      You are receiving the email because you have subscribed to this list. If you would like to remove yourself from this list, please use the following link and you will be removed immediately! Thank you!

    • jeffery turner