Daughter of Slave Casts Vote, Remembers Struggle

  • Marenda W.
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2008
      http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Politics/story?id=6153625&page=1

      Daughter of Slave Casts Vote, Remembers Struggle
      By KIRAN KHALID Oct. 31, 2008

      For 109-Year-Old Amanda Jones, a Vote Is More Than a Vote

      At 109 years young, Amanda Jones can still remember when the idea of
      blacks having the right to vote was as far-fetched as the idea of
      desegregation.

      Born in 1899, the former housewife and cleaning lady has lived in
      three centuries. They were three centuries of struggle from her
      father's oppression as a slave in Texas to her own battle for equality.

      It was not just her race, but her gender that kept Jones from the
      polls. Women did not get the right to vote until she was 21 years old.

      "I think it's very important that she got to vote in this election
      knowing all that she's seen and all that she's been through," Brenda
      Baker, Jones' granddaughter, told "Good Morning America."

      The first time she voted, Jones was forced to pay a poll tax. She said
      she voted for FDR, but does not remember which of his four terms that was.

      This time, she mailed in her ballot for Barack Obama. For the daughter
      of a man born into slavery, it was more than a vote; it was a milestone.

      "I thought I'd never have this opportunity to vote for a colored man,"
      she said.

      Jones' father urged her to vote when casting a ballot meant facing
      threats and intimidation. Generations later, she reminds her children
      and grandchildren to honor that privilege and remember the struggle.

      "You should never pass up your right that so many people fought so
      hard for," Baker said. "That's the one way you can make your voice be
      heard is by voting."