Quebec judge backs girl grounded by dad

  • Marenda W.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2008
      This is the dumbest decision by a judge I have ever heard!

      http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=6aaf855a-47e3-4e3f-8709-5b53dcfffff0

      Jaws drop as Quebec judge backs girl grounded by dad
      Don Butler , Canwest News Service Published: Wednesday, June 18, 2008

      OTTAWA - If you deny your children access to TV or withhold their
      allowance, can they take you to court? And win?

      That implausible scenario emerged after a judge in Gatineau, Que.,
      sided with a 12-year-old girl who challenged her father after he
      refused to let her go on a school trip for disobeying his orders to
      stay off the Internet.

      Experts in family law and child welfare say they were dumbfounded by
      last Friday's ruling by Superior Court Justice Suzanne Tessier.

      "As a lawyer and as a parent," said Ottawa family lawyer Fred Cogan,
      "I think it's state interference where the court shouldn't be interfering.

      "I've got six kids," Cogan said. "I certainly wouldn't want a judge
      watching over everything that I do, and I wouldn't want my kids being
      able to run to the judge."

      But there are few signs Canadian courts are likely to follow Tessier's
      lead.

      "Family court judges are sort of loathe and reluctant to enter into
      the sphere of parental discipline," said Peter Dunning, executive
      director of the Child Welfare League of Canada.

      Joan Durrant, a child clinical psychologist and professor of family
      social sciences at the University of Manitoba, said the courts usually
      take a hands-off approach to parental discipline, even when it
      involves physical maltreatment.

      "Some pretty severe cases have been acquitted because it was
      determined that it was the parents' right to decide."

      In the few cases where children have taken their parents to court,
      there's often a history of family conflict, she said. "It's usually
      not an isolated incident in the family interaction."

      Cheryl Milne, a lawyer at the Canadian Foundation for Children, Youth
      and the Law, said the scenario in the Gatineau case may be unique to
      Quebec because of its civil code. "I can't imagine a similar case
      being brought in Ontario."

      Even in Quebec, the decision is virtually without precedent. Kim
      Beaudoin, who represented the girl's father - he can't be named to
      protect the girl's identity - said she's been unable to find any
      similar rulings.

      The father, who is divorced but has legal custody of his daughter, cut
      off her Internet access after she chatted on websites he had tried to
      block. She then used a friend's Internet connection to post
      inappropriate pictures of herself, Beaudoin said.

      After discovering that, the father told his daughter she couldn't go
      on the three-day school trip. According to Beaudoin, the daughter
      "slammed the door" and went to live with her mother, who was willing
      to let her take the trip.

      However, the school wouldn't allow the girl to go unless both parents
      consented or she obtained a court order. That prompted the girl, with
      her mother's support, to take legal action against her father,
      culminating in Friday's ruling.

      According to Beaudoin, Tessier found that denying the trip was unduly
      severe punishment. The fact that the girl is now living with her
      mother also factored into the judge's ruling, she said.

      The father, who is appealing the decision, was "devastated" by the
      ruling, Beaudoin said. He is refusing to take his daughter back
      "because he has no authority over her."
      http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=b3119492-b697-488f-b9d7-2b3fd0c9fdab

      Que. dad appeals ruling that allows girl, 12, to take school trip
      Daughter went to court after being punished for not staying off the
      Internet
      Canwest News Service Published: Tuesday, June 17, 2008

      GATINEAU, Que. - The father of a 12-year-old girl who won a court
      decision overruling his punishment is appealing the decision, his
      lawyer said Tuesday.

      The girl took her father to Quebec Superior Court after he said she
      couldn't go on a school trip for disobeying his orders to stay off the
      Internet.

      The man's lawyer, Kim Beaudoin, said the issue is about restoring
      paternal authority and should have been dismissed by Justice Suzanne
      Tessier, who told the girl Friday she could make the trip.

      "If a parent goes too far there's youth court," Beaudoin said. "I
      don't think this tribunal was the proper forum for a decision like
      this one."

      In any event, the child had broken a number of house rules, she noted.
      After the father cut her access to the Internet for chatting on
      websites he tried to block off, she used a friend's Internet to post
      pictures of herself in clothing "inappropriate for a child her age,"
      Beaudoin said.

      "It's for her protection," she said of the father's disciplinary
      measures, mentioning the arrest of a Belgian man in Montreal found in
      a hotel with a 13-year-old girl last weekend.

      "If we don't learn at the age of 12 there are rules to follow, when do
      we?" Beaudoin said.