1014Re: [BCD536HP] GPS and the x36 location "filter"

  • MCH
    Aug 5, 2014
      Lots of content there. As a quick first reply, I would suggest using the GPS and the main database with your range set to 0, and make a statewide FL to supplement with coordinates set to the middle of the state with an incredibly large coverage range set. That way, your GPS would still select them anywhere is the state.

      Joe M.

      On Aug 5, 2014, at 7:35 PM, "'Rick Bates, WA6NHC' HappyMoosePhoto@... [BCD536HP]" <BCD536HP@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I'm still trying to wrap my head around DMA programming after a good many years of 'normal' scanning (way back to the Regency 10 channel crystal scanners of the 70's, more recently with the GRE Pro-xx96). I'm new to DMA programming, please be gentle on me. ;o)
      >
      > So far all the programming of my new 536 is done via the Sentinel software; it's too complicated for a noob to do otherwise. Even things that should be simple (adding a P25 network that is not in the database), is not. Then there are subtleties like when I added a list of ham repeaters yet it wouldn't scan (yup, Ham was disabled in Services, DOH!)... A lot going on here.
      >
      > For my home/local traffic, no issues. I made up several favorite lists for my usual places to listen (one fire, one cops, one forest, etc). It's simple to add/drop lists as needed. I got that far on my own and it feels pretty familiar.
      >
      > However, I also travel (because I can). I want to hear select services ONLY while traveling and I don't want to take the time to do an area survey to see what's there. For example, I want the closest parks (state and Fed), the highway patrol/sheriff, any close by fire department (includes the forest service in many states) and NOT hear most other things (no railroads, planes, medical).
      >
      > But I'm finding that leaving the database wide open adds FAR too much 'shtuff". Dialing it down to what appears to be my essentials is still too broad. If for example I leave Public Safety toggled on, I hear park admin, VA hospitals and other things I don't care to hear. I spend most of the first hour, pressing the Avoid button.
      >
      > So how do you dial it down to a specific few things while distance traveling (using a GPS to locate you)? [I'm also hoping that responses provide the archive enough for later searching for other noobs.]
      >
      > It appears that the easiest/best way is to create a state specific favorite file for travel and draw that into action when I near or cross state lines. But then I'd have to add every county/parish/borough that I expect to be in/near. Tedious and I don't know EVERY county in EVERY state so I'd have to look them up. More than likely, I'd miss something I'd want to hear because I have no local knowledge. A few states simply aren't all that large too.
      >
      > All that data is in the radio, how to make use of it the most efficiently as possible?
      >
      > So with this in mind, what are y'all doing? Parks, fire (forestry), LE...
      >
      > The GPS is functioning and providing ongoing data to the 536 (confirmed via the location readout), location for favorites on; full database on, services selected (rather broad categories, which is the real issue).

> [...]
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic