1005Re: [BCD536HP] Range, Siren commentary

  • Dewey3
    Aug 4, 2014
      How is the thread being hijacked when a part of *your* OP specifically asked about GPS functionality (does it work with the main database or just FLs)?

      Concerning wanting to "look ahead" when traveling, I fully understand your point.  Just remember that the county's range will cover your looking ahead in most cases.  The only time your advance notice using x number of range miles looking ahead would be "better" than my zero mile notice would be if a negative event happened within about 5 miles of the county line, and while it's possible, what are the chances?  Remember that even with a zero mile range setting, the county will still go active as soon as I hit it, or even before as long as it's correctly set up in the Radio Reference database.  My argument for the zero mile range setting is that I am going to know that all of the transmissions are somewhere around me jurisdiction wise rather than hearing transmissions where I don't have a clue if they are 10 miles around or 100 miles around.  That's the beauty of the choice since there is really no absolute correct answer, but rather what works best for us the users.

      Dewey

      On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 12:20 PM, 'Rick Bates, WA6NHC' HappyMoosePhoto@... [BCD536HP] <BCD536HP@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Ok, thank you.

      Since we're hijacking the thread anyway (now renamed), I presume that the audio is passed via wifi (hopefully via USB too, later)?  I guess we'll find out.

      Rick, WA6NHC

      On Aug 3, 2014, at 7:22 PM, "Dewey Dewey3@... [BCD536HP]" <BCD536HP@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      It’s the opposite.  Instead of the x36 looking “out” x  number of miles based on the radius, you must already be inside the system’s/department’s/channel’s programmed radius to receive.  The bottom line is that you are telling the scanner not to look beyond your current location for systems/departments/channels that are using location control.  You will still receive all systems/departments/channel when you are inside of their radius rings.

      Dewey