Re: Question about "CC Data Output" feature

  • just_a_radio_guy
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 12, 2008
      Filtered Control Channel Data Output (like is in GRE) - uselessness
      feature IMHO. It would be much better unfiltered discriminator output
      signal.

      I wish to use Uniden for trunk monitoring by using third-party software
      (like is UniTrunker, T4Win, TrunkView & etc.) because it more
      functional and more flexible. Now for this purpose I should climb into
      Uniden with a soldering iron :(
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 12, 2008
        The only difference is where it is sliced - in the scanner or in the PC.
        Why not just use a program that *does* support control channel data like
        PRO96COM (which is like "UniTrunker, T4Win, TrunkView & etc.").

        Joe M.

        just_a_radio_guy wrote:
        > Filtered Control Channel Data Output (like is in GRE) - uselessness
        > feature IMHO. It would be much better unfiltered discriminator output
        > signal.
        >
        > I wish to use Uniden for trunk monitoring by using third-party software
        > (like is UniTrunker, T4Win, TrunkView & etc.) because it more
        > functional and more flexible. Now for this purpose I should climb into
        > Uniden with a soldering iron :(

      • JETorres
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 12, 2008
          You CAN use the GREs "filtered" output with UniTrunker, I'm doing it
          as we speak just fine..,.

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 12, 2008
            > You CAN use the GREs "filtered" output with UniTrunker, I'm doing it
            > as we speak just fine..,.

            How?

            We tried few trunk decoders with GRE and no luck with filtered output.
            But home made Discriminator Tap works just fine!
          • L W Dan Danz
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 12, 2008
              The output on the 396XT is ASCII data...it can be read by HyperTerm without any further electronics required. Of course you need a program.

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 12, 2008
                > The only difference is where it is sliced - in the scanner or in the
                PC.
                > Why not just use a program that *does* support control channel data
                like
                > PRO96COM (which is like "UniTrunker, T4Win, TrunkView & etc.").
                >
                > Joe M.

                It such one. I use different software decoders. Then PRO96COM supports
                Motorola Type I/II Trunking? EDACS? EDACS ESK? MPT1327? Any other
                digital converstions like is paging & etc.?

                As far as I know, no! What else questions?
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 12, 2008
                  Motorola and EDACS would be supported by the scanner, I imagine. It does
                  not support MPT1327 (of which there is VERY little in the USA), and
                  paging decoding is illegal in the USA.

                  I think PRO96COM only supports Motorola at this time.

                  Turning your argument around, why is it that Unitrunker, T4Win and
                  Trunkview do not support raw data? It's one less thing the program would
                  have to do, and should be trivial to add.

                  Joe M.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 12, 2008
                    You hook up the cable to your GRE, turn on the CCDump feature on the
                    radio and the settings needed on UniTrunker are right on the website
                    where you download it. UniTrunker even has a menu where the GRE model
                    is selected.

                    www.unitrunker.com

                    On Nov 12, 2008, at 5:52 AM, just_a_radio_guy <eika@...> wrote:

                    >> You CAN use the GREs "filtered" output with UniTrunker, I'm doing it
                    >> as we speak just fine..,.
                    >
                    > How?
                    >
                    > We tried few trunk decoders with GRE and no luck with filtered output.
                    > But home made Discriminator Tap works just fine!

                  • scorpionutv
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 12, 2008
                      My understanding is that on the GRE models, you have to put the
                      scanner into this mode by holding some obscure combination of keys at
                      power on. I guess this would also work for Uniden if they chose to
                      provide baseband audio at the headphone jack as an option for those
                      who want to hook it up directly to a data slicer.

                      Anyway, I appreciate all of the speculatory responses, but I was kind
                      of looking for an official response from Paul or someone else who
                      knows the details of this feature for certain.

                      Jeremy

                      > I bet this will be like the GRE counterpart where the data is
                      available
                      > at the programming jack, and not the earphone jack.
                      >
                      > I like your idea of being able to choose the audio. The only problem
                      > with it is that you will no doubt have people using discriminator
                      audio
                      > and earphones which could damage your hearing and result in a huge
                      money
                      > lawsuit, so I doubt Uniden would do it.
                      >
                      > Joe M.
                      >
                      > scorpionutv wrote:
                      > > As per the product announcement:
                      > >
                      > > "Control Channel Data Output – allows the analysis of
                      > > control channel data without the need to perform invasive
                      > > modifications to the scanner"
                      > >
                      > > Am I to understand that this feature will essentially allow the
                      user
                      > > to choose between having discriminator audio or filtered audio at
                      the
                      > > headphone jack? Obviously if this is the case, it is not limited
                      > > listening to control channels only, or so I would presume...or
                      have I
                      > > completely missed the boat on this one?
                      > >
                      > > Jeremy

                    • johnstark
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 12, 2008
                        You don't do anything key wise, just run the software, it's automatic on the
                        500/600.....